Last month while I was cleaning out the basement, I ran across my old racquetball racquet, from years ago. I knew I’d had one before, so it annoyed me that I had to go buy one in July because I couldn’t find my old one. Turns out that was because it was tucked away in a box with all my other stuff from 2009, shacking up with my old tennis equipment.
I finally remembered to take it with me to the gym tonight, figuring I’d give it a go to see if it gave me any magical racquetball powers.
It did not.
Like, not at all.
It was the opposite of good, in every way.
The racquet just felt wrong in my hands, and I kept hitting the ball in this weird way that caused the ball to bounce up and behind me instead of straight out in front of me. I think it kept hitting the lip of the racquet, because when the ball did go straight, it always veered to the side (which means it didn’t really go straight, but whatever). I’m thinking that either the “lip” of the racquet is bigger, or the racquet itself is bigger than the one I’ve been using for the past couple months – I even ran into the walls a lot more tonight. The old racquet did not make for a great night of playing.
I think I’ll be switching back to my newer one from now on… but if I need to do any sort of trick work and make the ball mysteriously bounce behind me when its momentum clearly determines it should go forward, I’ll keep the old racquet in the car for easy access.
I decided to start off my Sunday as though I’m on vacation somewhere, so I rocked a Nutty Irishman coffee with a ton of whipped cream. The sugar (and alcohol) set me up for a pretty awesome “staycation” day, which led to me cooking and baking all day long. Since it’ll be a crazy week (as always these days), I’ll at least have a ton of pre-made food to eat, so I won’t have to worry about meals. For breakfasts, I made a pumpkin cream cheese bread, and for lunches and/or dinners, I made chicken tortilla soup and cheesy tomato tortellini soup. Also, I made a nice big batch of buffalo chicken dip, so I even have snacks covered.
Hanging out with fancy coffee drinks and the oven and stove on was just what I needed today – I feel as relaxed as an overcooked noodle right about now. :)
This might be the greatest discovery ever made at Marshall’s. Happy lunching to me!
It is legitimately dark at my house right now. It’s around 11:45am, and it looks like it’s 7:30pm. It’s not raining (yet), but something tells me we’re going to get really wet, really soon. That’s too bad, I was planning on cutting my grass this afternoon. Shucks. ;)
- Currently Reading: I finished Spin in record time and loved it, and immediately moved to the next book – The Silver Linings Playbook. I watched the movie a while ago, when it came out, and I really wasn’t a fan. I didn’t get the hype, and I didn’t like the story. However, enough people loved it that I decided I should read the book to see if I might like that better. Good decision, because I’m liking the book 1000% more than I liked the movie. I might even have to re-watch the movie once I’m done with the book, now that I understand it better.
- Currently Eating: All of the red beans and rice. If you skip ahead to the “Currently Loving” item, you’ll see a pressure cooker. I’ve been trying to find ways to use it since I bought it earlier this week, and one of those ways was to make Pressure Cooker Red Beans and Sausage (chicken andouille sausage in my case) and a giant batch of brown rice. If you follow that recipe, be forewarned – it makes a TON of beans and sausage. Like, beans for days. It’s tasty, but man, that’s a lot of beans.
- Currently Craving: I’ve had an apple dumpling in my fridge since the Delmont Apple ‘n Arts Fest / Schramm Farms outing on Sunday, and it stares at me every time I open the fridge door. Today might be the day that I finally eat it… and if not, it’ll need to head into the freezer.
- Currently Loving: I broke down and bought myself a pressure cooker. My dad bought this same cooker months ago, and he hasn’t stopped raving about it. For real, he’s been talking about it nonstop for months. When I saw this one at Costco – same model as his and everything – I decided to bite the bullet and get one for myself. I’m not going to rave about it like my dad, but I do like the convenience it offers me. Now there’s really no excuse to eat at home – even if my food is frozen, all I have to do is use the pressure cooker and I can have a full meal in, like, a half hour. From frozen. That’s crazy, and awesome. I’ve already made two meals in the pressure cooker (BBQ chicken breasts from frozen, and then the gigantic batch of red beans and sausage), and I’m looking forward to finding more things to make in it.
- Currently Anticipating: Meh, not much. I’m glad it’s the weekend, but I’m having trouble seeing beyond all the meetings and whatnot I have scheduled for next week. I still have Halloween weekend free, but to be honest, I’ve been too wiped every evening to try to plan a trip. I am moderately excited to go to work tomorrow afternoon (bartending), and I’m looking forward to having an evening to myself tonight. I might even skip the gym, since I’m starting to get worn down a little (I think I might be overdoing it a bit). So maybe it’ll be a “Netflix and chill” sort of night, and that’s definitely not a bad thing. :)
Have a great weekend, everyone!
At my job, we have this system called “P2P” (procure-to-pay). I am the only female on the P2P team in Pittsburgh (and one of only two globally, as far as I’m aware), so when I walked into the women’s restroom this afternoon and saw a bunch of post-its in the shape of a P with another note stuck on the mirror that read, “Gotta walk past the “p2p”,” I was a little concerned. Mostly concerned that people would think I had done this (I didn’t) since I’m the only female on that team.
We’re officially at the end of the day and I’ve spent the past seven hours trying to figure out who did this and why. I have some suspects in mind (namely, the girl who sings to herself – LOUDLY – in the bathroom stalls), and I guess whoever did it just had a lot of extra time on their hands. Well, time, and post-it notes.
I do have to admit, though, once I thought about it and got the joke, I chuckled. It’s a nice play on words – P2P, and walking past the “P” (of post-its) to pee. Har dee har har.
Man, I work with a bunch of weirdos. Guess I fit right in. ;)
We had Buca di Beppo for Free Lunch Wednesday today, and for once, I didn’t mind it. Normally the thought of Buca day makes me feel sick, and I usually load up on salad and some chicken and bread. Today, though, the salad was gone by the time I got there (weird). In its place was a trio of penne à la vodka, spaghetti marinara, and chicken parm. Starving, I grabbed a plate, even though I was sure I’d regret it.
For once, I was wrong. (Ha!) As I was sitting back down to my desk, I got a text from a friend asking me to sub for her in volleyball tonight, immediately after work. I cautiously agreed, telling her I’d definitely be late since I didn’t have my stuff with me. Well, I busted tail and got there just as they were starting. No time to grab a snack, though, so it was a good thing I carb-loaded at lunch. ;)
For once, Buca saved the day!