I may have made the pizza, but this pizza made my life.
Presenting the best pizza I’ve ever made, hands down.
While it wasn’t made on the grill (a decision I’m currently regretting as I sit in my sweltering house), it was pretty much perfect.
Let’s rock and roll:
- 1/2 the recipe for The Best Pizza Dough – I used the “original” version with whole wheat flour
- a handful of white cornmeal (to dust your pizza stone)
- ~1-2 TBSP olive oil
- ~1-2 TBSP crushed basil
- ~1 tsp garlic powder (to taste)
- 6 large slices of tomato
- ~1/2 ball of fresh mozzarella, sliced
- a handful of grated parmesan cheese
- a quick sprinkle of sea salt
Preheat oven to 450. Make the dough as stated in the recipe, or use whatever dough you have on-hand. Stretch the dough onto your cornmeal-dusted pizza stone and bake 10-15 minutes, or until mostly cooked through. Mix together crushed basil, olive oil, and garlic powder until you get a runny paste. Remove pizza crust from oven, spread basil paste onto crust. Top with evenly-spaced tomatoes and mozzarella, top with the dash of sea salt and a handful of grated parmesan to fill in the cheese gaps. Cook ~10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling. Remove from oven, let sit for a few minutes so that you don’t have a runny pizza mess on your hands, and then cut.
Happy upcoming holiday week, my fellow ‘mericans. 🙂