Coffee & Donuts

Coffee & Donuts

There is exactly one day of the year that I *must* have donuts, and that is the day after the Farm Show. As is tradition, we hit up the cake donut stand on our way out of the grounds last night, and we all (mom, dad, grandmas) got our two for the morning. Farm Show donuts and Amish donuts are pretty much the only donuts I really care about.

Almost immediately after I hit publish on yesterday’s Five Things Friday post, things started to head south. First, I got a message from my mom that she’d sprained her ankle walking the pups on Thursday night, so she wasn’t so sure about walking around the farm show grounds. Then I was going about my business when BAM! I felt something in my eye. I thought it was an “eye booger,” so I swiped it away, but it didn’t go away. Suddenly, my eye got really itchy, like I’d been rolling around in a field of cut grass. I looked in the mirror and saw this:

Maybe that picture should come with a warning, huh? There was still a tube left in my nose/lacrimal sac from surgery mid-July, and it was supposed to stay in there to heal for the next 2-3 months. When I looked in the mirror and saw the string, I straight-up panicked. I tried to push it back in (gross) but no dice. Freaking out, I called the doctor’s office and they made arrangements for me to get to St Margaret’s within the hour. At this point, the string loop was so far out that I had to stick it against my nose with a bandaid in order to be able to see and drive. Super uncomfortable. I got to the hospital, they took one look at me and said, “Nope. That’s coming out.” Apparently what I thought was a string was the actual tube, and it had worked itself out of where it should have been. Since it came out [mostly] naturally, the doctors decided to just take it out – the alternative being to cut me open again. This all sounded great, until I discovered how they planned to take the tube out – they snipped the suture (which I couldn’t even see), and then they pulled the tube out, from my nose, through my tear duct, and then through my eye. ::shudders:: It was so gross, and so incredibly uncomfortable, and to be honest, a little painful. BUT. As soon as it was done? I felt as good as new. A little traumatized, but otherwise fine. And now my eye looks normal again – huzzah!

Anyway, the Farm Show. I did end up going to Butler, but I wasn’t necessarily expecting to go anywhere given my mom’s injury. I brought her some pain meds from my surgery (shh!), and then took care of the crazies puppies for a while. Eventually, she decided she wanted to go walk around, even though I told her we didn’t have to. She said that staying in one position hurt the ankle more, so she’d prefer to walk a bit. So off we went.

We did our first pass through the food stalls and we saw this:

Heyyyy, dessert!

We kept walking and made our way to our favorite part of the Farm Show: the Ku Klux Lambs. While we were talking to them and rubbing their heads, a family came by and the dad said to us, “They look like little klansmen, don’t they?” and we just laughed. See? It’s not just us. But really, look at this face:

Eventually, we moved on, found the grandmas, and then found some food to eat. After awhile, my dad got off work and stopped by and we capped off the night with one of these gems – a mini maple bacon funnel cake. HELLO. I opted for this instead of the bacon funnel sticks, simply because I couldn’t fathom eating 5 bacon funnel sticks my myself (no one volunteered to help me eat them). This mini funnel cake was just the right size, though:

All in all, despite the trauma both to me and my mom, we ended up having a pretty great night. And those donuts for breakfast? They signify a pretty great start to a Saturday. πŸ™‚

Happy weekend, everyone!

About Lindsay

I'm a Burgher who loves trying new foods and activities. I also seem to love getting myself into trouble. Basically, I'm a trainwreck waiting to happen. :)
This entry was posted in 365 Project 2014. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Coffee & Donuts

  1. Nothing Personal says:

    Pretty trying ordeal. Maybe the previous night’s volleyball had something to do with it. I know when I play, sand is everywhere on my person–sometimes for days. At any rate, looks like you’re on the other side of it now.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s