Good news for me – I’m probably not dying. My throat, while still painful, feels a bit better than yesterday. The rest of me still feels icky, so I’m thinking it’s just the beginning of a cold. I’m usually a ninja when it comes to colds and flus – I can dodge them like no one’s business – but I’m probably due for my share of the winter sickness. Blergh.
- Currently Reading: Despite all the craziness this week, I managed to finish up Dark Places! It didn’t end as I’d expected, but I was able to piece it together fairly well. I’ve heard people say that Gone Girl is “creepy” (though I didn’t really think so), but Dark Places wasn’t creepy at all. Also, last night since I was being lazy/resting, I watched the movie version of it. There were a lot of things that differed between the book and the movie, but I loved the cast.
After I finished Dark Places, I started on Station Eleven. So far, it’s excellent, but I’m only about 12% through. It’s one of those books that you don’t want to put down, though, which is why I’ve had such a hard time getting to sleep over the past couple nights. 🙂
- Currently Eating: When I met up with my friends for the going-away party on Wednesday, I got to hang out with my friend Tony. His sister is a baker, and he’s been talking up her goodies to me… and he surprised me on Wednesday with a bunch of cupcakes! I gave one away to the guy who was leaving Pittsburgh the next morning, but that left me with 5 cupcakes. I’ve been steadily working my way through them – they’re so stinkin good! The cake itself is good, but the buttercream icing is where it’s at. I love buttercream that you can actually taste the butter in (believe it or not, some places use shortening for buttercream, and those people should have their bakeries taken away from them… just my humble opinion). This buttercream tasted like butter, and had just a tinge of salt, which only enhanced the rest of the cupcake. Darn good. Thanks Tony!
Other than cupcakes, I’ve been rocking the green juice and the matcha lattes, trying to get myself to feel normal again. Spoiler alert: it’s not working.
- Currently Craving: Hot liquids. I could really go for some soup, but I only have a spicy soup in my freezer… I don’t think that would feel great on my throat.
On a non-food note, I’m desperately craving more emergency situations. That probably sounds terrible, but other people have told me that’s a normal reaction, so I’m running with it. When I mentioned to another Red Cross worker on Wednesday that I felt guilty for the excitement and happiness I feel when I work with them, they told me that that’s actually a good thing – it means it doesn’t negatively affect me, and that I can handle this type of work. It seems to be a common problem, though, so my conscience feels a little better. 🙂 I’ve also been told that Tuesday’s fire was probably the most exhilarating event I’ll ever go to, in terms of the size, and that other calls will pale in comparison. I’d like to find out if that’s true.
- Currently Loving: Volunteering. I think I’ve covered this point enough, no?
The fact that I can work from home without question or issue (so I don’t infect the entire office).
I found a story about FedEx that made me not hate them so much… this was actually really awesome of them.
And finally, House of Cards season 4 is available today. Huzzah!
- Currently Anticipating: Weather-permitting, I get to see my two favorite furballs on Sunday! I’ve been “recruited” for a Big Brothers Big Sisters fundraiser with my mom and her work, so I’ll be heading home on Sunday. This means no on-call for me on Sunday, but I’ll have puppies instead. I’ll take puppies over almost anything. 🙂
I’m on-call tonight, which means I probably won’t get called in at all. But if I do, I’ll be ready.
Also anticipating a nap. I know it’s only 11 am, but I think I’ll be taking an afternoon nap today if my meeting schedule permits. Working from home is the best.
Have a great weekend, everyone!