Smokey Robinson is having his annual checkup today (state inspection + emissions + oil change), so I’m rolling through town in a new ride, AKA Dark Chocolate. It’s dark brown, but it looks almost black until the sun hits it. I kind of like it, actually. And in terms of the car itself, I like it more than Smokey. I thought I’d enjoy having 4 doors, but nope – 2 doors is where it’s at. Noted for the next one…
- Currently Reading: I am pretty much the absolute worst. I made it about 5% more through Station Eleven, but that’s it. I think my problem is that I took a break between the first part of the book and the second, and the book is radically different between those two parts. I loved the first part, but I can’t quite wrap my head around the second so far… I’m having trouble getting back into it. I’d like to say I’ll have some time this weekend to focus on it, but let’s be honest – between this past week and next week, I’ll be volunteering for a little over 90 hours, and that’s taking priority right now.
- Currently Eating: Ugh, something crazy is going on with my stove burner. I use the front right burner for most things, and I usually set it on level 8 to preheat the pan… today, I set it on level 8 before putting my egg whites in, and the entire pan burned. Sometimes it gets really hot on 8, and sometimes (most times) it doesn’t. But this morning… yikes. So yep, I’m eating black egg whites these days. Gross.
Still rocking the matcha lattes, and they’re still giving me superhuman powers.
Still planning on stopping at Caliente for pizza this weekend if I get called out for the ARC. Fingers crossed, cause I can’t remember the last time I had pizza, and that makes me sad.
- Currently Craving: Pizza and matcha, so nothing new. I feel like I’m constantly hungry, probably due to some increases in my workout intensity. I’ll be darned if I don’t want to eat the entire contents of my fridge these days. Some red meat sounds amazing as well – my doctors have told me for years that I’m anemic, so I’m thinking that might have something to do with the red meat cravings + the lightheaded sensation I feel after a lot of workouts. But since I really only eat red meat if I’m out somewhere and I’m all by my lonesome these days… well, the outlook is grim (and dizzying).
- Currently Loving: This dog. I saw this video last night and I’ve been watching it on a loop ever since. He (?) is hilarious, and he makes me laugh so hard I snort. I love him. I want to be his buddy.
Also, continuing my fascination with videos of childhood characters lip-syncing songs, I present this video to you. Why yes, that is Sesame Street performing Tha Crossroads by Bone Thugs-n-Harmony. You are welcome.
Also, since I’ve been spending altogether WAY TOO MUCH TIME on Facebook lately (this, from the girl who was ready to quit FB a few months ago), someone brought to my attention the Treadmill Doctor page. Despite what it sounds like, and what their background photo looks like, it’s actually a pretty funny page. That’s where I first saw the dog in the first link, and they have a lot of fun things posted. Maybe I’m just getting more lax with my sense of humor these days, come to think of it.
Also, on a less humor-filled note, I’ve noticed that the more I look for opportunities to do good things, the more they present themselves. Like finding a stranger’s cell phone in the street, or like earlier this week when an older woman across the street fell on the sidewalk and everyone else (on her side of the street) walked right by her. I ran through traffic to help her up and to collect her things (probably not the brightest idea, running through traffic at 5pm in Downtown Pittsburgh), and then a guy came over to help as well. Had I been looking at my phone, I wouldn’t have noticed her fall and struggle to get back up. So just a gentle reminder, mostly to myself but to anyone who wants to read it – keep your eyes and ears open, be aware of your surroundings, and you might find more opportunities to do good.
- Currently Anticipating: So much good stuff on the volunteer front. (Don’t roll your eyes at me!) I’m looking to take a more active involvement in the ARC (funny, since if you scroll up, you’ll see 90+ hours over two weeks on there), which I’m looking forward to.
Additionally, I spoke with someone at my full-time job about some initiatives, and I’m going to work on setting up some outreach to different non-profit organizations within the community to try to get some sort of corporate volunteer programs going.
Also work + volunteer-related, I learned about a program with our company where volunteer hours can be tracked and our company will donate $20/hr up to $1000/year to whichever organizations we work with… so that’s really exciting. We also do a volunteer donation match, which I wasn’t aware of. AND we get some time off for doing volunteer work during the workday, so that’s another awesome thing. The actual open period for 2016 hours and donation matches/contributions starts on 4/1, so the ARC and I have something to look forward to. Now I need to figure out if the $1000/year cap is by person or by organization… cause I should blow through 50 hours of time with the ARC long before the end of the year, and I’ve been looking at some other organizations to work with as well. If I can help donate some money to additional organizations, above the $1000 to the ARC, that would be swell.
And, of course, I’m highly anticipating being on-call pretty much all weekend. I’ll be doing a few overnight shifts this weekend, so no sleep for me. I’ve gotten so fanatical about this stuff that I’d rather be out on a call at 3am than sleep… which, of course, I say that now, but ask me again after the first time I have to drive bleary-eyed to a disaster site…
That’s about it from me. If anyone wants to hand-deliver a Caliente pizza to me to save me from my imminent starvation due to laziness, that would be great. Otherwise, have a great weekend! 🙂