Back In The Jungle

Back In The Jungle

Reassimilation has not been kind to me this trip.

Last summer, I learned the hard way that it’s a terrible idea to check your work emails over vacation (so that things aren’t a mess when you get back), and it’s also a bad idea to give your coworkers your cell number. I distinctly remember getting text messages while I sat on the beach, telling me that I needed to make travel plans as soon as I was able to connect to reliable internet, and to be on a plane on Sunday night for a Monday morning meeting. Those text messages and subsequent emails completely destroyed over half of my vacation this past summer. Work was all I could think about. In the end, all of that stress was for nothing – the trip was canceled.

This time around, I wanted to check my volunteer emails while I was gone, and we lucked out with having constant wifi access the entire time we were on the trip. I’ve never been to a resort where we had 24/7 access to decent wifi, so it was a nice treat. On Friday, while I was checking my volunteer and personal emails, I realized I’d forgotten to unsync my work email account, so I got those emails too. One in particular caught my eye, as well as a text I received via wifi (I didn’t turn off airplane mode the entire time we were there, to avoid charges. Learned that lesson the hard way as well). The email was an agenda for a meeting that was set in my absence, scheduled for 9am Monday. For 4 hours. For a demo that someone said I’d do. The text was from the person in charge of this account, and it just said “Hey.” Naturally, I almost threw my phone into the nearest pool. I started texting to ask for details (“Is this some sort of sick joke?” “No, really, are you punking me?” “Dude. It’s not funny. Really. I’m on vacation here, tell me this is a joke.” “WTF ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?? WHO DID THIS??”). Turns out it wasn’t a joke, but I was told to “relax” and that the person would sort it all out for me and try to delay the meeting. “Enjoy the rest of your vacation,” they told me… so I tried to put it out of my mind.

Welp, you can guess what happened. This morning, the meeting hadn’t been rescheduled, and there was an email from the customer confirming the agenda, telling me they’re looking forward to the demo. So. First day back from vacation, first thing in the morning, I had to share my screen for 4 hours to do a demo that shouldn’t have been on my plate in the first place. This means I didn’t get to anyone else’s emails until mid-afternoon. And when I did, I realized my entire afternoon was booked solid – the entire day was a disaster. Welcome back to the US!

Eventually, I got through the work day, and I actually did a really great job. Stress works in my favor much of the time, thank goodness. Knowing I was running short on good cheer, I made a last-minute decision to sign up for an on-call shift tonight.

After I’d finished all of my meetings, I left my computer in a huff and started to de-winterize the house. Then I looked outside and realized the yard is a hot mess, so I figured I’d cut the grass to feel like I’d done something worthwhile. I got the mower ready and started to fire it up. Tried again. And again. For a half hour straight, I tried to start the thing. My shoulder (which has been injured for years anyway) was killing me, so I took a quick break before trying for another half hour or so. Eventually, I called the warranty number on the mower, and they said it sounded like a clogged carburetor… which of course is not covered by the warranty. Frustrated, I literally picked up the mower and threw it against the garage. I hope it rots.

Completely discouraged, I tried to call around to pay someone to cut the grass, but zero people returned my calls. Not a one. So. I don’t know if such a thing exists, but if so, I imagine I’ll be getting a fine some day soon for the shabby state of my yard. On the plus side, my dad said, “Calm down. Don’t freak out just yet,” which I’m hoping means he’ll be down to take a look at it sometime soon.

I was pretty disgruntled for most of the day, but adding myself to the on-call schedule turned out to be a great idea. I got a call to come in around 6:45, and instantly, my day did a 180. I went from angry, punching walls, screaming into pillows Lindsay to totally put-together, happy, in-charge Lindsay with just one phone call. The transformation blows my mind; I still can’t get my head around it. As soon as I got to the office, I was perfectly normal and happy, and I had a great time going out to the scene. I feel like I need to be on-call every day, in order to keep my sanity. Something about it mollifies me and takes all my crazy away.

For now, though, I guess I’ll have to settle for crazy in the daylight and awesome at night. 🙂


About Lindsay

I'm a Burgher who loves trying new foods and activities. I also seem to love getting myself into trouble. Basically, I'm a trainwreck waiting to happen. :)
This entry was posted in 365 Project 2014. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Back In The Jungle

  1. maryaquino says:

    OH! now I get the tweet. Read them in reverse order. 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s