Oof, today (and this week) has been pretty darn horrendous, work-wise. Although I didn’t have to travel, the work event in question still occurred, which meant I had to spend the majority of my week attending kickoff calls… which wouldn’t have been a problem, except for no one knew if the meetings were still happening until after work on Friday, so there was no time to prepare and no time to warn my other customers. So Monday morning, I was thrown into this thing and now half of the people I work with are ticked at me over something I couldn’t control. It’s been FUN. Add onto that the fact that I’ve needed assistance from another group for something for a week or so, and we just finally had time to sync up today and learned that the problems are way bigger than anyone thought. So now one of the customers is going to be livid when they find out the scope of the problem. Needless to say, I’m working from home and drinking my lunch today. Captain Morgan FTW. (Yes, I know that’s not healthy or sane. I’m okay with that at the moment.)
Add onto the work problems some volunteer issues (which I think are being resolved thanks to some people who think way too much like me allowing me to vent and then me allowing them to rein me back in), plus the health stuff that’s going on, and all I really want is some time away from everything. I can’t take a day off from work right now due to all the issues, but I did drop my volunteer schedule for the weekend until Sunday. Not that the volunteer schedule is a burden at all (au contraire, it’s usually my favorite part of the weekend), but I think I need some time to focus on calming myself down a little, without constantly being on-edge waiting for disaster calls. The people who’ve reined me in this week agree, and they only know one small part of the problem. Look at me, trying to be an adult and do the responsible thing. This is progress. 🙂
- Currently Reading: I finished up Lust & Wonder on Saturday of last week, and then moved to one of my library finds – The 6:41 to Paris, by Jean-Philippe Blondel. I like the fact that it’s relatively compact and I can throw it in the front pocket of my backpack and read it on the bus every day. The story is okay – not my preferred genre, but that’s fine. If you’ve ever read L’Etranger (or The Stranger) by Albert Camus, it’s a similar writing style, in my opinion. Not that The 6:41 to Paris is an existential novel by any means (it’s not, from what I can tell), but it has a similar feel. Then again, despite the fact that I have a master’s in French language and civilization, it’s been a long time since I’ve read a French novel. Maybe my overloaded Americanized mind is starting to classify all French novels as a “type.” Ugh.
- Currently Eating: Captain Morgan. Ha. But really.
I’ve kept up my super-healthy ways for the most part over the past week and a half, but I’m afraid that’s not helping things much in terms of lab work. It’s funny – I got labs done on 6/1 and they look darn-near impeccable in some respects (not so much in others, but that goes back to the stuff I mentioned earlier this week). I got a separate set of labs done on 6/6, and a lot of them overlapped the 6/1 tests. Ironically, I got the results back via email today, and the 6/6 labs look worse than the 6/1 ones, even though they were obtained just days apart and even though I was actually trying to be “good.” ANNOYING. I guarantee you the doc I see on Tuesday will focus on the worse of the two sets. On the plus side, my lab work is done for the next month or so, so I’m going to go back to enjoying normal food for a few weeks… not that it seems to make any difference. (Have I mentioned how annoying that is? Yeah.)
Otherwise, I have a whole lot of haluski left over from Wednesday’s lunch, so I’ve been chowing down on that. I’m not sure what to do about dinner tonight since I have the night free… maybe I’ll do something exciting and fun? Probably not, but I’m trying to dream big. 🙂
- Currently Craving: Now that I’m allowing myself to have whatever I want again since the bloodwork is done, I’m not craving anything. The burger craving, gone. Steak craving, gone. Junk food craving, gone. I’m so psychologically predictable.
- Currently Loving: I’m still on a slight high from the first aid incident yesterday – even though it was hardly a life-or-death situation, it just felt really good to do something nice for someone I didn’t know. I usually keep my eyes open for ways to help, but I hardly ever get the opportunity to actually do anything. Now my eyes are going to be peeled 24/7.
My parents are in Nashville to celebrate their anniversary, so they keep posting pictures of food on Facebook. I don’t know if that necessarily falls into the “Currently Loving” category since all the posts have done is make me hungry, but I’m glad they’re having a good time. The pups are at the spa (doggy daycare) until their humans get back, so I imagine they’re having a blast – they love it there. 🙂
- Currently Anticipating: 5pm today, when I can log off of my computer in good conscience.
Last night I went swimming for the first time since I hurt my hand, and it mostly went well. I had some trouble with backwards breast stroke, which is normally my favorite, but I think that was due to the type or angle of water resistance against my hand. The other strokes were fine, and I felt like jelly afterwards (in a good way). I love that it gave me time to think about things, and I love how relaxed I felt afterwards. I normally don’t swim two days in a row, but if I can swing it, I might do it again tonight after I’m done on the treadmill. What better way to go into the weekend than completely physically exhausted, relaxed, and happy?
I’m also anticipating Tuesday’s doctor’s appointment, if only so I can get it out of the way. I hate hate HATE this doctor, and I hate having to discuss certain things with him. And I know he’s going to try to have me come back in in 3-6 months and I’ll say I need to check my schedule and then conveniently “forget” until next year when I need to get my prescriptions refilled. This repertoire could be avoided if he would just take notes and trust that I’ll tell him if certain situations change for me. But nope, every visit it’s the same thing, and every visit I end up feeling totally alone in the situation. Unpleasant. So yeah, let’s get this over with.
Finally, I’m anticipating my return to the volunteer schedule on Sunday. I’m on it with some of my favorite people (including one of the people who have talked me off the ledge, so-to-speak, over the past couple days), so I’m looking forward to maybe getting to go on a call and catch up. Now that I’ve resigned myself to certain things, and I’m learning how to avoid certain situations, I’m excited to get back to it.
That’s about it, folks. Good luck with the rest of the work day, and happy weekend to you!