It’s like I woke up this morning and thought, how can I make my heart attack-inducing lunch even less healthy? And then a lightbulb appeared above my head and suggested adding Italian dressing. Genius! Considering I usually average 1 Primanti Bros sandwich a year (or less), this is scary territory.
- Currently Reading: I actually got a lot of reading done this week. I went to the pool on Sunday and flipped through the rest of Eyewitness Travel Guide: Pacific Northwest. I read the Vancouver portion while on vacation, but read through Oregon and Washington while at the pool. It was all basically a refresher, as I’ve been to both Portland and Seattle, but I might be heading back to Seattle before the end of the year so the refresher was welcome.
I finished Food: A Love Story rather quickly, and then realized (too late) that Jim Gaffigan was actually doing a stand-up show in Pittsburgh last night. (And going to Primanti Bros after the show, ironically.) It didn’t really matter since I had a volleyball game and wouldn’t have been able to go, but I can’t say I really helped the team all that much last night. I may as well have gone to the show.
After I finished that one, I moved on to Out of Orange: A Memoir, by Cleary Wolters. I started reading it while I was still working my way through watching the latest season of Orange is the New Black, and nearly 2 years after having read Piper Kerman’s book that inspired the series. Out of Orange is written by the real Alex Vause, and I’ll be honest, it was hard to get into. The first several pages felt very defensive, and the writing just felt choppy. I actually considered returning the book with only 5% read, just because the writing annoyed me. But I kept up with it anyway, and last night I finally started to enjoy it a little. I’m going to try pushing through it and see if it gets better.
- Currently Eating: Primanti Bros sandwiches for days. Part of me wishes I hadn’t taken extras – under no circumstances do I need more than one a year. The other part of me is glad I rescued them before they became garbage… they don’t call me the Human Vacuum for nothin!
- Currently Craving: Still nothing in particular. I’d like some sleep, though. Last night I got into bed to read and then looked up at the ceiling and noticed there was a creature above me. At first I thought it was a spider, which was annoying. And then I realized it was one of those centipede/millipede things. As much as I despise spiders, centipedes/millipedes might be even worse. Since I stand squarely in the 5’2″ – 5’3″ range, there was no way I could reach the ceiling to kill the thing, and even standing on my bed wasn’t a guarantee (and besides, what if I missed it and it fell onto my bed and up my leg and…::shudders::). So I consulted the Googles and determined that I could spray a hard stream from a spray bottle to get it down, and then kill it. I grabbed the first spray bottle I could find, thinking it had water in it, and aimed. The thing fell, but then I realized that it wasn’t water. I don’t know what exactly is in the bottle, but it has a strange (but not terrible) odor. When the thing fell, I tried to follow it… but then one of my nightmares came true and I couldn’t find it. It wasn’t on the bed – I totally stripped it just to be sure. It wasn’t on the floor beside the bed. From what I could tell, it wasn’t even under the bed. The thing disappeared into thin air. I spent a good half hour looking for it, and then when I decided that it must have (hopefully) made its way back outside, I tried sleeping but failed. I must have woken up every 15 minutes to turn on the light to make sure the thing wasn’t right beside me or right above me. Each time, I inspected the entire room. To say I got no sleep is an understatement. What a stressful night. So yeah, I guess you could say I’m craving sleep. Ugh.
- Currently Loving: I was tapped to run a volunteer event (something totally different from what I’m used to) at work in October, so I’ve spent some time this week in planning meetings. I’ve also been requested to ask one of my regular Red Cross volunteer contacts about coming into our office to do a Breakfast in the Bistro type of thing for our company’s month of service in October. Hopefully we can get some more volunteers out of that!
One of the main organizers for our volunteer stuff at work is really big into another organization that I’ve considered volunteering with for quite some time. I haven’t made the leap yet because I think it would be a fairly major time investment and I refuse to do it if I can’t fully devote myself to it (that’s not fair to the organization), but I asked her about it earlier this week and we’re going to set aside some time to discuss. At the very least, I want to get some more info about it before making a decision one way or another.
On the not so happenin’ side is the library volunteer work I wanted to do. Most of the events are either during the day, on evenings that I have other plans (volleyball or volunteer stuff), or on Saturdays, so I haven’t had a chance to do anything yet. I’m still on the emails, and I’m still looking out for events I can help out on, but my schedule is kind of crappy. I feel kind of bad about this one. I wish there was some way I could volunteer for them on a more structured basis, like 1-2 hours a day, three days a week…
- Currently Anticipating: Heading back to bartending tomorrow, but only because I could use some cash. I very much enjoyed my few weekends off… maybe I enjoyed them too much; now all I want is to do fun things every weekend. Unfortunately for me, fun things cost money, which means I need to work. I guess I can save the fun things for Sundays. 🙂
We have our annual family beach trip coming up at the end of next month, but we’re doing something a little different this year. First, we’re taking my parents’ camping trailer to some beach in Virginia for a few days… then we’re dropping the trailer off in VA and driving the rest of the way to Myrtle Beach. I don’t think the family we usually go with is going to be there since the kids are now school-aged, but other family friends were considering taking the trailer from us in VA and then taking the trailer to MB themselves for that same time period. Either way, we’re going to be on vacation at the beach; just don’t know if we’re going to have company or if it’s just going to be the three of us for the first time in many years.
As I alluded to earlier, there’s also the possibility that my mom and I might head to Seattle to see family in the fourth quarter of the year. I looooooved Seattle when I was there for work, so I’m excited to show my mom the area. Plus, by that time, we’re going to have a new family member to visit there. 🙂
And finally, my trip to Vancouver rekindled the travel bug in me. When I lived in Paris for grad school, I spent many weekends traveling around Europe by myself and I loved it. Traveling with other people can be fun, but I don’t like having to feel responsible for other people’s good times, and I like to go-go-go when I’m exploring a new place. So generally, I prefer traveling on my own when checking out an area for the first time. Now that Vancouver has reignited that flame, I want to go everywhere. I want to use all the vacation days, spend all the savings, and go to all the places. Who knew one little trip to Canada could be so detrimental to my savings account?
Have a great weekend, everyone; get out there and explore someplace new!