Earlier this week, I [finally] downloaded Facebook Messenger, and the first thing I did was send my mom a message that just read, “Hola!” Her response? “Where are you now?” Since I said “Hola” instead of “Yo,” she just automatically assumed I had taken more vacation time. Wouldn’t that be awesome?
So yeah, I finally jumped head-first into 2014 and downloaded the messenger app. I resisted for over two years, using a separate app called Paper, which I loved, but which seems to not be working anymore. So messenger it is. I have to say, I’m having a lot of fun with it. Too much fun. I downloaded the Imoji app as well, so now I have a whole world’s worth of emojis to use. Taco and Tank have their own emojis, and I take every opportunity possible to send random dog emojis to my parents. They’re not nearly as amused by it today as they were a couple days ago. 😉
- Currently Reading: Earlier this week, I started reading The Potty Mouth at the Table, by Laurie Notaro. I’ve never read any of her stuff before, and I wasn’t sure I’d like it, but the more I read, the more I like. The book isn’t as funny as I’d like, but it’s not bad. Plus, it’s a fast, easy read. I’ll probably be done with it before the weekend is through. Can’t ask for much more than that!
- Currently Eating: I’m still working my way through my fridge/freezer/pantry inventory, and I’m having a fun time of it. Not only do I no longer have to wonder what I’m going to eat for a certain meal (look at the Excel spreadsheet and see what sounds good!), but I also get a sense of satisfaction knowing that I’m not wasting food and I’m not wasting extra money. I’m feeling a little smug about it, to be honest.
Also, to jump into the time warp that is my life, I discovered (rediscovered?) Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka. I bought a bottle a couple years ago and didn’t do much with it. But now I’ve learned that if I mix an ounce of it with an ounce of lemon juice and then top it with a can of seltzer water, I’ve got an incredibly refreshing drink in my hands. It does not taste like alcohol, in the slightest. It’s awesome. And low-cal. And did I mention awesome? Welcome to 2008, tastebuds! This could be dangerous.
- Currently Craving: D’oh. I’m back to craving pizza. I made a killer pizza last weekend and topped it with salami and Mike’s Hot Honey and it squashed the craving for a couple days, but I could really go for some Caliente pizza. I’m not going to, since I have more than enough food in my house to tide me over, but I certainly wouldn’t hate it if the Caliente people found me and a meat-lovers pizza just mysteriously showed up at my door.
- Currently Loving: Sadly, I’ve finished all the available episodes of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on Netflix. After I finished, I moved onto Better Call Saul. I loved Breaking Bad, and another volunteer told me I’d like BCS. I did, of course. But I also watched my way through all of those episodes. (<– I’ve been spending a lot of time on treadmills, don’t judge me!) Now I’ve started watching season 2 of The Blacklist. I don’t know if I’ve mentioned this before on here, but I used to HATE James Spader. For some reason, after seeing him in The Blacklist, I really like him now. So yep, I’m working my way through season 2. After that, I’m not sure what I’ll do – my Netflix queue is getting shorter and shorter.
In conjunction with the whole Facebook Messenger thing, my parents and I finally realized we could make calls through it… and then my dad added video this afternoon. Luckily, I was wearing clothes (NOT a given, since I’m working from home). It was pretty cool, though. Add onto the list of things I’ve never done: Facetime. Since my parents have Android or whatever and I’m an iPhone girl, we can’t Facetime. And quite frankly, I don’t feel the urge to Facetime with anyone else. But the video call through FB Messenger was actually kind of fun! They weren’t home, so there were no puppies barking in the background, but you know I’m going to make them let me video chat with Taco & Tank when they get home. 🙂
Speaking of Facebook, since apparently that’s all I do these days, I started following The Bulletproof Bartender and Tipsy Bartender. The Bulletproof Bartender is more for my amusement – dude tells it like it is; he understands what we go through. Tipsy Bartender I enjoy mainly for their creative drink recipes. We don’t stock a lot of unique things where I work since we’re first and foremost a special events venue (and as such, we have to get through 200 people within about 20 minutes with just two bartenders – there’s no time for fancy schmancy things), but it’s fun to see the different things a person could do.
And finally, whether you’re a Rush fan or not, or a kid fan or not (personally, I’m neither), you’ve got to appreciate this kid’s talent. This is insanely awesome.
- Currently Anticipating: Two big things this week. 1) The Olympics! As you may have guessed, I’m a huge sand volleyball fan and I’m soooooo excited to watch Kerri Walsh-Jennings and April Ross kick some sandy butt. I also enjoy watching the guys play, but I can relate more to the women (obviously). I’m so excited that I was moved to do something unprecedented – I bought an HD antenna for my TV. I haven’t had any signal hooked up to my TV since 2009 or so, and I haven’t even gotten free channels. It’s just a blank screen when I turn it on, unless I turn on the Wii so I can stream Netflix or Amazon Prime videos on it. But after my HD antenna is delivered from Amazon (Sunday delivery!), I’ll be able to watch the Olympics from my very own couch. Granted, I’ll still probably do most of my watching from the gym, but this’ll be a nice change of pace. 🙂
The second thing I’m excited for this week is the annual Butler Farm Show! It’s fairly well-documented on here, but Farm Show week is one of my favorite weeks of the year. Less so now that I live 30+ miles away, but it’s still a great excuse to see my parents and the pups and to eat super-healthy fried food. Plus, there are the Ku Klux Lambs to look forward to… and the infamous Farm Show Donuts! So much to look forward to! Unfortunately, though, my parents are unable to go on the day I’m most available (Friday), so we’re comparing schedules to see when we can go. They’ll be there most of the week, so my schedule is the main problem (as usual). Guess I’ll be making a mid-week trip to Butler! So worth it, though.
That’s it for this week. Have a fantastic weekend, everyone!