Happy birthday, Taco!
This handsome guy turns 3 today, or 21 in dog years! It’s hard to believe he’s already legal drinking age… seems like just yesterday I was wrapping him up in a towel like a little burrito after his first bath. Sigh… they grow up so fast!
Unfortunately, though I’ll be traveling to casa de Taco y Tank later today, I won’t see either of them. They’re heading to the doggie spa (kennel) in the morning so they can play with their friends for a week while we’re at the beach. I’m kind of sad that I won’t get to see them, but I know they both love going to their daycare/kennel because they get to act like fools and they get crazy amounts of attention. So. I think Taco will enjoy his birthday juuuuust fine without me. 🙂
- Currently Reading: I gave up on Harry Potter and the Cursed Child pretty much immediately, and it sounds like I’m not the only one. Life is too short to read bad books, so I’m officially “done” with it.
After I removed HP from my Kindle, I added Room, by Emma Donoghue. It took me most of the week to get into the writing style – I’d read a couple pages, get tired, put it down, and not want to pick it back up again – but I’m finally getting into it. I’m only about 15% through, so I’m optimistic I’ll grow to love it.
I also have some physical (non-Kindle) books for the beach, in case I have trouble reading with the sun glare. I was aiming for easy reads (“beach reads”), but only time will tell if I’ve succeeded.
- Currently Eating: Because it’s really hard for me to see food being thrown out, I snagged some of the “light snacks” from work yesterday for lunch today. The only problem is, I think I grabbed too much… so I either need to freeze some of the goodies, or take them with me to the beach. The freezer is probably the better option, no?
Speaking of the freezer, my inventory list is officially in maintenance mode for the next couple weeks. I’ve eaten all I can, and now I just have to hope that the neighborhood doesn’t suffer any more major power outages while I’m away. On the plus side, I still have plenty of food for when I get back, so I can’t use the “there’s nothing to eat in here!” excuse…
- Currently Craving: I managed to snag a slice of Caliente pizza at Bloomfield’s Little Italy Days after a disaster call on Sunday, so I’m happy to report that I’ve fed the craving without inflicting an entire XL pizza on myself. This is progress .:)
In bad-timing news, I’m really craving going on a disaster call since I haven’t gone since Monday morning… but since I’m leaving for vacation in a couple hours, I’m done for a couple weeks. I even offered to take an SOD shift or two while I’m at the beach, but the people who were in the room when I mentioned it looked at me like I had three heads and the program manager shut that down immediately. It’s weird – the few times I’ve gone more than a week without a call, I’ve gotten used to it and I learn to not miss it (aside from missing my fellow volunteers). But if it’s only been a few days since my last call, I crave more calls. They turn us into disaster junkies, I tell ya, that’s what they do.
Also, I could go for some good homemade ice cream. Something tells me I’ll be able to find that at the beach. 🙂
- Currently Loving: It’s probably really good that I’m going on vacation now, because I’m getting wayyyy too attached to certain volunteers. Like, emailing, texting, and messaging with a few of them at all hours of the day and night. Don’t get me wrong; I love it, and there’s truly nothing else I’d rather be doing… but considering most of these other people have spouses, I have to wonder what their spouses think of this constant flurry of communication going back and forth between us. I’m trying to be more cognizant of this, and I feel like I’m probably driving them crazy sometimes (even if they’re the ones who initiate the conversation), but dangit, I freaking love them. They’re my “chosen family” and it’s going to be hard to be away for more than a week. Something tells me I won’t be completely shut off from communication, though (I hope not). 🙂
Finally, my excitement over television seems to have waned. I blame the fact that the Olympics are over – it doesn’t look like there’s anything worth watching on tv now. And given my unpredictable schedule, I don’t think I’ll be able to commit to watching new episodes of shows in real-time on a regular basis, so I don’t plan on watching any fall previews or anything. Truth be told, I’m very happy I’ve lost my thirst for tv – I was getting worried for a couple weeks! However, since I’ve barely turned the thing on this week, I have no new commercials to share. Merp.
- Currently Anticipating: Not working for over a week! I have two weekends off from bartending, plus 6 days (6.5 days, if I can manage to leave when I want to today) from full-time work, and 11 days off from volunteering (which, as we’ve covered, I don’t want to be away from). I haven’t even begun to think about packing yet, which is great since my dad wants me to be at their place by 1pm today. Oops.
I’m looking forward to checking out a new vacation destination, even though I had no say in the matter – we’re heading to Cape Charles, VA for a couple days before we continue on our journey to our usual home away from home in Myrtle Beach. It kind of looks like the only thing to do in Cape Charles is eat, so I suppose I can muster up some enthusiasm for the place. As for MB, we have our favorites that we return to every year, and try as I might, I can’t get my parents to try any place new. Still, lots of eating will be done, and lots of not-working will be enjoyed. 🙂
Have a great weekend, y’all! (<– See what I did there? Getting in the Southern frame of mind already!)