I feel like a weekly #thisiswhyimsingle photo might become a “thing.” Today’s picture comes to us courtesy of my sarcastic sense of humor. A friend asked what I was reading lately, and this is the picture I texted her… right before I shoved that donut down my throat. Still haven’t gotten to the part of the book that explains why we get fat, so it’s still a mystery to me. 😉
- Currently Reading: Take a guess! Yes, indeed, I’m reading Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It, by Gary Taubes. This book was referenced in Better Than Before, which I read on vacation, and since I loved that book so much, I got this one from the library. I’m trying to remain skeptical while reading it – this book details the exact opposite of everything I’ve ever heard or read about diet, exercise, and weight loss. But I have to admit – Taubes presents some very compelling arguments. What he writes in the book absolutely makes sense; it’s so full of common sense that it’s ridiculous to keep believing everything we’ve ever been told. Thanks to Better Than Before, I have an idea about how the book ends, hence why I’m trying to eat my freezer stash of donuts/cookies/etc. while I can. I get the feeling I might start to take a harder look at all the sugar and carb-y goodness I’ve been eating. But not yet! For now, I’m enjoying everything I have!
I gave up on 52 Small Changes for the Mind… it just wasn’t my jam.
- Currently Eating: All the things (for now; see above).
I was so thrilled to go out with the volunteer team last night – as I said to someone at the bar, this was the first time in a ridiculously long time that I’d gone out socially and not for work. Granted, it’s always great to go out for work because a) I like my coworkers, and they seem to like me and (more importantly) b) work pays for drinks and my wallet stays closed. But to go out for a drink with people you want to be with, rather than have to be with (no matter how much you like them) is such a nice thing. I had an old-fashioned, which seems to have gone back into the rotation as my go-to drink. However, I’m thinking I should save the old-fashioneds for the work social events – they’re not cheap. I also had a short version of one of Roasted’s signature cocktails that involved gin and vermouth, so needless to say, I needed some coffee this morning. A lot of coffee, to be accurate.
Otherwise, I’m trying to eat up all the perishables in my fridge before I leave for Omaha on Monday. I’m doing a great job; in fact, I don’t have any idea what I’m going to eat throughout this weekend.
- Currently Craving: Another old-fashioned. Hair of the dog, n’at.
Still craving vegetables, and still not craving pizza or ice cream.
I am, however, looking forward to all the awesome food outings I’ve planned for Omaha, though. All 35 of them. 🙂
- Currently Loving: Honestly, I was so hyped up after our meeting and then the bar last night that I didn’t get to sleep until at least 4 am. I certainly don’t love that, but I do love the fact that I’m now 8 or 9 months in and I still get the same warm fuzzies when I’m with these people as I got on Day 1. I was starting to go through a little rut over the past week or two where I wasn’t really looking forward to my on-call shifts, but now I’m all-in again. Especially for certain shifts with some of my favorite people. They make waking up at 3:30 am (or not falling asleep until 4 am) 100% worth it.
I’m also loving that a coworker who’s also traveling to Omaha revealed that he’s just about as into foodie things as I am, so I have a partner in crime. Additionally, someone else who’s going with us was with me in Seattle for another work trip last year, and she loved my Excel spreadsheet and GoogleMaps of restaurants I wanted to go to. I’m unofficially in charge of all meals Monday through Thursday. 🙂
Also, a friend/former coworker from another job recently bought a house just down the road from me. So now I know I have at least one friend in the neighborhood. She does a lot of pet-sitting/dog-walking, so I’m excited to run into her walking some pups!
- Currently Anticipating: I’m starting to get really excited about Omaha! Not about the work, per se, but about going to a state I’ve never been to before. I’ve been thinking of creating an official “bucket list” and including “Visit all 50 states” on the list. This would, of course, be different from the 16 in ’16 list in that it wouldn’t be for just a year; it’d be for the duration of my existence. When I add Nebraska to the list, I’ll have a pretty decent start!
Speaking of the 16 in ’16 list, I’m trying to see where I can fit in the remaining items. Unfortunately, I think a few of the tasks on the list will need to wait until next summer (the Boyce Park wave pool, for example). But there are a few that I can do in the coming months; it’s just a matter of planning them out. That said, I probably won’t get to any of them this weekend.
Next week, while I’m in Omaha, is my dad’s birthday, so I’m thinking I might drive home and surprise him on Sunday. I’m not on-call until 6pm, so I’d have the morning and early afternoon to hang with him, my mom, and the pupperonis. Ooooh, how I miss their furry little faces. (<– Taco and Tank’s, not my mom and dad’s.)
That’ll do it for me. Have a great weekend, everyone!