I’m absolutely exhausted. I got almost no sleep last night; I kept waking up, expecting my phone to ring at any moment. I wasn’t on-call; I was just super-anxious about all the things going on lately. I took a Tylenol PM since I was feeling completely run-down during the day, but that only seemed to make things worse. I woke up every hour, panicked and grabbing my phone, and then I had trouble getting back to sleep. Wake up, grab phone, toss and turn, and try again. Over and over. Through eight hours. I’m a mess today.
- Currently Reading: After I finished Why We Get Fat, I wanted some similar reading to keep my lower-carb momentum going, so I grabbed Wheat Belly Total Health from the library this week. I hate to be one of those people, but I’m really buying into this stuff. In addition to these two books, I’ve also watched a few documentaries on the subject of why humans haven’t adapted to digest grains and excess sugars, and I’m all-in these days. The more I watch and read, the more obvious the problem seems to be, and the more I hate the idea that the doctors and governments have been lying to the public for decades. I never thought I’d be the type of person to long-term shun any food group from my diet, but these books and documentaries are changing my mind. I wish I’d cared enough to find all this information years ago.
- Currently Eating: Still on the lower-carb train, and loving it! After I snapped the above picture of this morning’s breakfast, I realized it looks a little like lasagna, but it’s not. That’s a ground turkey/kale/onion/sweet potato/cheese casserole I made on Sunday, topped with an insane amount of chili sauce. The one casserole made enough breakfasts for 10 mornings, so I have enough breakfast for next week as well. It’s awesome, because there’s absolutely zero thought involved with breakfast now; I can just grab and go.
Thanks to realizing how much sugar is in regular ketchup, I’ve quit the ketchup game cold-turkey. I thought it would be much harder – I’m a ketchup addict – but as long as I have substitutes available (like sriracha), I’m doing fine. I haven’t missed ketchup at all this week. That’s not to say I won’t occasionally use it, but I’m being much more mindful these days of how much and under which circumstances I use sugar-laden sauces and condiments.
Lunches have largely consisted of broiled chicken with cauliflower rice, broccoli, Bragg’s liquid aminos, and sriracha. Snacks have been string cheese, a small apple, and kale chips. Dinners have varied, but generally follow a formula of protein + 2-3 vegetables.
So far, so good!
- Currently Craving: More coffee, because SO TIRED. Otherwise, not craving anything other than maybe some more miso kale chips. Last night I had a brief fling with some dark chocolate, but just a square of it was enough to make me happy.
I’ve found I’m much more able to skip meals now that I’m following a lower-carb lifestyle, which sounds like it might not be a terrible thing. However, I’ve also been getting super-lightheaded and dizzy at times, so I’m not entirely certain I’m eating enough, especially given my workout schedule. This might be the first time in my life I’ve ever had that problem! The thing is, I’m just not as hungry as I used to be, and I think that cutting out grains is the cause of that.
For the record, although this isn’t my main objective, I’ve lost about 6 pounds over the past three weeks. I’ve actually been working out less (~45 minutes on the treadmill instead of over an hour each day), I haven’t had any crazy cravings, and I haven’t had any hunger pangs. Plus, my belly is a lot flatter-looking, at least to me, and the dress pants that I wore in Omaha just a few weeks ago were downright loose on me yesterday. So you can see why I might be all-in on this grain-free stuff. 🙂
- Currently Loving: It’s been a really stressful week, and the stuff that’s been stressing me out is the stuff that I’m normally in love with. That’s a hard pill to swallow.
One thing that I really do love is that a bunch of the new volunteers have been emailing me and asking great questions, and some of them have gotten on the on-call schedule immediately. This makes me way happier than it should, but I’m not going to turn away things that make me happy these days. We have an incredible group of people coming in, and it thrills me to see them so excited about something I love.
- Currently Anticipating: This evening, for starters. I was informed last night that I have a volunteer mission to complete tonight, and considering I haven’t been out on a disaster call in probably 6+ weeks, I’m excited. Not only do I have one of the brand-new trainees with me tonight, but I’ve also been told I might need to take someone experienced with me. Love it so, so much!
Also anticipating work on Saturday – our other regular bartender is out of town this weekend, so I’m working with someone I hardly ever get to work with. It’ll be nice to change things up a bit. 🙂
I’m considering a trip to Butler on Sunday, but I think I might finally be able to knock out one or two of the 16 in ’16 items that remain… so it’ll be a toss-up over which thing I decide to spend my only day off on.
And finally, my meeting with my Little was canceled at the last minute this past week, but we’ve rescheduled for Monday. I’m so excited to meet her!!
Have a great weekend, everyone!