Oy vey, it’s been quite a day.
I’ve been working from home today, and around lunchtime I realized that my water appears to be shut off. I’ve never missed a payment, so I can only assume that it’s an issue with the water company. I tried calling, but I was on-hold for about 30 minutes, and that’s all the time I had outside of work meetings. It’s been a busy day.
Luckily for me, I have access to about a million gyms, and some are 24 hrs, so I shouldn’t have a problem with showering, brushing my teeth, etc. It’s not an ideal situation, but it could be worse. With a bit of luck, maybe the water will be back by this evening. Fingers crossed!
- Currently Reading: I finished and returned God is Disappointed in You, and then moved on to Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson. The foreword of the book is depressing (intentionally so, I believe), but the first few chapters I’ve read have been funny. One last night made me literally laugh out loud. It’s a nice change from the religion-based books I’ve been reading lately.
- Currently Eating: Everything in sight. 😦 I’m learning the hard way that it’s easier to be 90% grain-free than to be 75% grain-free – there’s a huge difference. 90% clean, and I don’t get random cravings and I barely think about food. 75% clean, like this week with its holiday party + special breakfast pizza + busy weekend ahead, and I definitely notice that I start craving random foods and I think about food a lot more. Who would’ve thunk that it’d be easier to be stricter? It’s a good lesson to learn for the future.
- Currently Watching: I just started season 6 of Shameless on Netflix, and I think that’s the last one available. I’m not sure if I want to watch another Netflix original next, or if I want to spend some time trying The Man In High Castle on Amazon Prime. I’ve been told that I’ll love The Man In High Castle, so that’s what I’m leaning towards. No idea if I’ll manage to finish Shameless before next week’s post, though.
- Currently Loving: Right this very moment, I’m sitting on a volunteer conference call with one of my manager-types and we’re pinging each other via WebEx… in the middle of my regular workday. I love that my job is this flexible, and I love that I legitimately like the people that I volunteer with. This is also a person who was texting me with work-related stuff on Wednesday night while I was riding a mechanical bull and doing karaoke in Spanish, so she’s really gotten quite a taste for my personality this week (“Can’t talk now! Riding mechanical bull! Ole!”). That’s probably not a good thing. 😉
I’ve also been chatting with someone who works on a totally unrelated volunteer venture, and I’m super-intrigued by it. The problem is that the opportunities are almost exclusively during the workdays, so it wouldn’t really be ideal for me. But considering the work this person does already, I’m incredibly impressed that he does this other thing that few people know about. It’s amazing. I freaking love these people so much.
At our holiday party on Wednesday, I spent some time talking to one of my friends about my volunteer stuff. She knew that I volunteered, but she didn’t really know what our team does. What should have been a 5 minute conversation turned into an hour-long, animated, almost one-sided talk about how awesome our organization and its volunteers are. She actually seemed relatively interested, so I’m wondering if I might be able to recruit her. She has kids, though, and a full-time job (+ our part-time job), so she may not have the time. Still, it might be worth following up on later. She probably thought I was insane because I was so excited about it, but I feel like people should be used to that by this point.
- Currently Anticipating: I’m supposed to be having drinks with a friend tonight, so I’m excited to go out and be social like a normal person.
Tomorrow, we’re having a somewhat-impromptu meeting at our volunteer chapter to work on some stuff for this coming week, which should be fun. And afterwards, I need to go to work, so hopefully I’ll return home at the end of the day with some money.
I’m weirdly excited to take my new bus route again next week – I’m still floored by how much faster and nicer it was on this other bus compared to the commute I’ve been accustomed to. It’s like the difference between Arctic Zero “ice cream” and Häagen-Dazs ice cream – both will satisfy your sweet tooth, but one just barely gets the job done (Arctic Zero) and the other is just soooo much nicer. In this case, the P1 is Arctic Zero and the P76 is Häagen-Dazs. I want more Häagen-Dazs.
That’s about it for this week. Happy Friday, folks!