This has not been my best week ever, by far. But the past couple days have brought me back in touch with some incredible people and the week is ending on a much better note than the uncomfortably depressing note it started on.
In the words of Dory, “Just keep swimming.”
- Currently Reading: I haven’t done much reading at all this week, despite being off work for a day and a half for oral surgery. Technically I’m still working on Furiously Happy, but in reality, I just leafed through a few magazines this week.
- Currently Eating: I’m back to my normal eating patterns (or new normal patterns), so physically I feel much better. However, I ran into a little obstacle last night for which I need to practice a workaround – thanks to the oral surgery, I have a [removable] splint in my mouth, and it’s incredibly difficult to eat with it in since my bite doesn’t align anymore. I tried eating a salad at our monthly volunteer meeting last night and suffered through about a bite and a half before I gave up – salad just doesn’t work with the splint in my mouth. I can eat at home without the splint in, but eating out in public is going to be a challenge for the next 10-12 months. Yikes.
- Currently Watching: I’m still working on season 6 of Shameless, but I’ve learned the hard way that it’s super-awkward to watch while on the treadmill at the gym. There’s more nudity and sex in it than your usual TV shows, which is really awkward and embarrassing when people are walking beside and behind you on the treadmill. So I’ve switched it up a bit and watched the first episode of The Man in the High Castle this week. MUCH better for on the treadmill, and I liked the first episode. It’s “heavier” than what I’m used to watching, though (if that makes any sense), so I’m struggling to get motivated to watch more even though I enjoyed it. I might need to find something that’s easier treadmill fodder – something lighthearted, funny, and slightly raunchy (to appease my 12-year-old-boy-style sense of humor). Any suggestions?
- Currently Loving: Volunteers, volunteer stuff, and a couple super-sweet text messages I got this morning. These people make my heart hurt in a good way, because I can’t imagine my life without them anymore. It may seem a little lame to have only one thing I’m “currently loving” this week, but this one item is comprised of over 100 rays of sun, so it’s really more like 100+ things I’m loving this week. ❤
I also managed to get multiple hugs and kisses (!!!) from the clients we went to see last night/this morning, so that was unexpectedly welcome. After this week, I think I needed those hugs almost as much as our clients (not to sound totally sappy), and we kind of just clung to each other awkwardly last night. The poor trainees that were with me probably wondered if that was normal, and I don’t really have an answer for them. But it’s always a nice twist of fate when this position brings me in contact with people who can bring me back from the edge just as easily as I can help them. Maybe it shouldn’t be a mutually-beneficial relationship, but sometimes it works out that way.
- Currently Anticipating: My mom’s birthday is this weekend, so I’m looking forward to seeing the fam at some point. I’m trying to convince them to come to Pittsburgh instead of me heading to their place, but time will tell whether I get my way or not.
I also purchased a Just Pay Half card from WPXI on the recommendation of a coworker, and Caliente is one of the restaurants that accepts it. So while I’ve been trying to avoid grains (pizza crust), and it’s difficult to eat in public with a splint in my mouth, I might go for it and get a pizza this weekend. I’m still undecided. But I guarantee if I do, it’ll be one of the highlights of my week.
That’s it for the third week in January. Here’s hoping next week is a little gentler and happier.