Working late any day isn’t my idea of fun, but working late on a Friday? I feel like that should be illegal. But such was my life today, so I didn’t get around to this until now. When I woke up, my calendar only had a few meetings on it, and they were almost all in the morning. By the end of the day, my calendar was a war zone… but at least all of my customers were happy and my inbox is no longer full of requests.
I’d planned to get a lot of food prep stuff done between meetings, but that never happened… so what happened instead was I canceled on meeting a friend at one of my favorite restaurants and then skipped the gym, and instead spent my evening working late, catching up on some volunteer admin stuff, and making breakfasts, lunches, and dinners to last me at least until early next week. Considering the weekend and upcoming week I have planned, I need every minute of Friday night for preparing and trying (failing) to relax. Sigh.
- Currently Reading: Because I made it to the office 3 days this week and I’m starting to get comfortable with my new commute, I’ve been reading on the bus. It’s been my only quiet time most days, so I’m enjoying it. To be honest, I almost missed it this morning (but I enjoyed an extra hour of sleep instead). I’m still slowly making my way through Furiously Happy, and I’m really liking it. The timing for me to read this book is pretty darn perfect, for reasons I won’t go into, but suffice to say that it’s resonating with me quite a bit. I’m still only about 45% through it, so I’m looking forward to more quiet reading time on the bus next week.
- Currently Eating: I all but ran out of my regular staple meals with today’s lunch, so I made a “garbage” meal for dinner – basically, I threw a bunch of random things together and they worked. The mixture was zucchini noodles, a poached chicken breast, half a bag of frozen broccoli florets, a bag of frozen onions & peppers, a can of no salt added diced tomatoes, two eggs, and a bunch of random condiments. I made it into a sort of stir-fry, and it was actually pretty tasty. Good thing, too, because there are lots of leftovers. Thank goodness – I’m going to need some easy no-thinking meals.
I also ate the last of my latest breakfast casserole, so I made a new one this evening (see above). It’s so nice to be able to set one or two slices aside for near-term breakfasts and then to individually freeze the rest so I can grab them and go. Today’s combination is mostly egg whites with three eggs thrown in for color (and to get rid of them), onions, peppers, roasted tomatoes, spinach, cheese, and bacon. I never know how the different combinations are going to turn out until the first morning I eat them, but this one smells pretty darn good. It might be the only think I’m looking forward to tomorrow.
- Currently Watching: I finished season 6 of Shameless, but instead of moving forward with The Man in the High Castle, I opted to try something new. I started watching Madam Secretary on Netflix, and so far I really really like it. I’ve always liked Téa Leoni, and this show brings to life the fantasies I’ve always had about working in the White House. Granted, in my White House fantasies, I always picture myself as the President and not the Secretary of State, but I also picture myself looking as amazing as Téa Leoni, so it’s clear that these little fantasies are never going to become reality. Regardless, I’m really enjoying the show, and I’m already a little sad that there are only two seasons of it on Netflix.
- Currently Loving: I guess what I’m really loving today, as corny as it sounds, is that I’m getting back into my regular groove, and that I was able to recognize that spending the night at home is probably the safer/healthier option than going out tonight when I know what the rest of the weekend holds in store. I realize those probably seem like small things to love, but when the entire week has been go-go-go and I’ve felt like I’ve barely had 5 minutes to myself, they’re something.
- Currently Anticipating: This weekend to be over. At least Saturday… Sunday can stick around for a while.
I’ve been dreading this Saturday for a month or so now, just because I know it’s going to be torture. I didn’t realize until Monday or Tuesday just how much torture it’s going to be, though, and I’ve been trying to find a way to get out of the entire day since then.
To start, I have a volunteer training thing from 8-4. 8 am. I’m not even at work at 8 am. This is not going to make my day any happier, not to mention the fact that I’m taking a class solely because I was asked to take it and not necessarily because I want to. Plus, I’m going to be there all. day. long. So long, in fact, that I’m going to be late to work. Which brings me to part two of the day…
After the training, I need to bust tail to get straight to work. I’m supposed to start work at 3, but I told them I’m going to be late. How late, I didn’t say. As a punishment (or so it seems) for being late, I was scheduled to work the after party – a first for me. For those of you who aren’t bartenders for weddings and large events, allow me to clue you in – bartending for after parties is the absolute worst. I can’t go into why simply because I don’t know who reads this, but trust me – it’s awful. And I’ve managed to avoid it for over 3 years, but now that I’m stuck doing this one, I’m positive I’m going to have to do them ongoing. I wouldn’t hate the idea quite so much if I only had work and nothing else tomorrow… but since I’m going to have to leave my house by 7:30 am or so and be gone without a break until probably 3 am, I’m really super duper hating the idea. I don’t even know how to put into words how much I’m dreading this.
My only hope for this weekend is that I can rest a little bit on Sunday before my on-call shift starts, but I don’t have high hopes.
As for next week, more meetings, more things to do after work, and more things happening on Saturday morning. It’s a never-ending cycle. With the possible exception of tomorrow, I normally love the Saturday morning things I do at the volunteer chapter, but going from there straight to work is hard. Sooner or later, one of these things is going to have to give.
That’s it for this week, folks. Hope your weekend is more fun than mine is going to be!