January was not my favorite month ever, so I’m thrilled it’s over. So far, February is much more comfortable and normal, and I’m hoping it maintains this positive momentum through the rest of the month (and through the rest of 2017). I normally try not to wish time away, but if there’s ever a period of time I wish would hurry, it’s winter. The faster spring comes, the better. One winter month down, less than two to go! 🙂
- Currently Reading: I finished Furiously Happy last night, and I ended up liking it a lot more than I’d expected. As strange as it might sound – especially if you’re familiar with the book – I think January was the perfect time for me to read it. Especially the last couple chapters… there were things in there that I needed to read. I appreciated that there was ample humor mixed in with some serious subject matter; it struck a nice balance. Good read!
I’m not sure what’s up next on my list. I have a few books loaded onto my phone, so I think I’m going to read a few pages of each before deciding. I like having options. 🙂
- Currently Eating: I’m pretty excited to have leftover steak frites for lunch today. I also just remembered that I have some amaretto, so I’m thinking an amaretto & Coke Zero might be in order for “Beer Friday” (though that’s more like “currently drinking” and not something I plan to eat). I did a ton of food prep this past week, so I have meals to last me through the weekend and into the early part of next week. Hooray for being prepared!
- Currently Watching: I’ve gotten hooked on Madam Secretary, and I’m not even ashamed of it. My boss’s boss (there really needs to be a shorthand name for him since I interact with him so often) mentioned it to me on Tuesday; he was relating it to something at work. What a weird coincidence that he mentioned it and I’d just started watching it… but then again, maybe he’s the person who told me about it to begin with? Who knows. Anyway, still really liking it, and I just started season 2. That’s pretty much all I’ve been watching, though.
- Currently Loving: A coworker’s parents just brought home a puppy last night, so he’s been sending me pictures of him. He’s pretty small and furry and cute, but my coworker says he (the puppy) smells weird. 🙂 Pretty sure that’s normal for puppies.
I love that we have an early(ish) wedding tomorrow, and that there’s no after party. Though after last week, I don’t despise the idea of after parties so much. I think I really lucked out; the people at last week’s wedding and after party were super-nice. Regardless, I’m relieved this weekend is already looking easier than last weekend. ❤
I’ve started working on my 2016 taxes, and I got a form in the mail today that made me scratch my head (see the picture above). Apparently I have stocks in Germany? Who knew? It’s nice when you find money you didn’t even know you had. On the other hand, my taxes aren’t looking so pretty this year. Since my mortgage was paid down so much (and really, will be paid off in the next few months), my interest in 2016 was much lower than in 2015… and that’s proving to be a huge difference. So far it looks like I’m going to owe a considerable amount of money. Not really something I’m “loving,” but I am pretty geeked about doing my taxes and getting them out of the way. (<– NERD.)
- Currently Anticipating: Despite not having an after party tomorrow, it’s shaping up to be a really busy day. I have a volunteer meeting in the morning, followed by a separate (smaller) volunteer meeting after that. Then I have to go directly to work. I’m just thrilled that I don’t need to be there at 8 am tomorrow; the later arrival will give me more time to get my work stuff together.
Oddly enough, I’m excited for Super Bowl Sunday, even though the Steelers aren’t in it and I don’t really plan on watching the game. I’m on-call, so I can’t get too crazy, but I always like to take Super Bowl Sunday as an occasion to “cheat” (appropriate this year, given the Patriots… zing!) and eat and do whatever I want. I figure the majority of America is still probably eating way worse things than me, so I can splurge on some buffalo chicken dip if I want. 😉
Lastly, I’m looking forward to a couple meetings I have next week, even if one of them means I might have to miss a volleyball game. I’m going to try to leave early, but it’s a meeting I’m fairly passionate about, so only time will tell which I choose. It’s nice to have options, though.
That’s it for this week. I’m happy to say that things are mostly back to normal, and February is not the angry turd that January was. With any luck, next week’s Five Things will be just as calm and happy. 🙂