Greetings and salutations on this rainy, chilly Friday. It’s the last day of March, which thrills me for some reason – I guess I think of March as the last hurrah of winter, even though it’s likely the beginning of April will still be chilly. As long as it doesn’t snow, though, I’m good.
- Currently Reading: I temporarily gave up on Laura Lamont’s Life in Pictures, simply because I’m trying to get through The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo. I’m still nowhere near done with either of them, but LLLiP was returned to the library this week and TGwtLBT is due back in 2 or 3 days. I’m afraid it’ll take another 6+ months to get TGwtLBT renewed if I don’t finish it, so I’m trying hard to get through it. I don’t think I’m going to make it in time. I really like it, though – while there are plenty of funny parts (as I’d expected), it’s actually quite serious and empowering at times. I’m kind of impressed. Then again, I’m an Amy Schumer fan; if you don’t like her comedy style, you probably won’t like her book. Just wish it didn’t take me forever to get through each chapter…
- Currently Eating: My Birmingham leftovers are long gone, which is sad. However, that means I’ve mostly eaten clean this past week, which was nice.
This morning I let myself stop at Starbucks on the way to the Mini dealership. I just got a regular coffee, nothing fancy, but it was nice to have a little treat while I went through paperwork (plus, it kept me warm).
Tomorrow I have a ball to go to, so who knows what I’ll be eating there. I know I chose beef when offered beef/seafood/vegetarian, so hopefully it’s something good. And if not, maybe someone will switch with me. 😉
- Currently Watching: Ahhhhh. I finished all of the Archer on Netflix last night. As of today, I’m a free agent when it comes to Netflix shows. Any suggestions? I’ve been told I might like Pacific Heat if it’s available; it’s supposed to be like Australian Archer. If I can find it on Netflix, that might be next.
- Currently Loving: Yesterday I stopped by the volunteer office to have a little heart-to-heart with someone. Even though I was on the fence about it and kind of dreading it (the reasons for which I can’t/won’t explain on here), I walked away feeling quite a bit better. The more time that passed afterwards, the better I felt. I hate being the person that needs to talk about things to get past them, and I hate feeling like I’m a burden on other people, but honestly, it helped and I needed to do it. So I guess I’m loving the fact that I can have a mini-breakdown (even if it doesn’t feel “mini” and lasts 3 weeks or so) and someone there will always be willing to talk me off the ledge. Some people “get” my particular brand of crazy, which makes it easier when I feel like I’m losing my grip on reality – they can pull me back and reign me in. So yeah, I hate that it’s necessary to have these discussions sometimes, but I love these people and their constant willingness to help.
Related, but somewhat different in my mind, I love that I have a little support system of people who will willingly (and jokingly, but also realistically) shield me from things I don’t want to happen and people I don’t want to deal with. As I was told yesterday, “we can all cluster around you to shield you and steer you away so they never even know you’re there.” (If you knew the context, you’d laugh.)
- Currently Anticipating: As I’ve already mentioned, I’m going to a big ole ball tomorrow. I’ve wavered back and forth on whether or not I’m going, but I think the discussion last night finally convinced me to go (see above: support system). It’s supposed to be a super-fancy affair, and I’m still on the fence about which dress to wear. I got some new glittery heels that will go with any of my dresses, though, so at least I know I’ll a) be wearing clothes (you’re welcome, Pittsburgh) and b) be wearing shoes. No guarantees on hair/makeup/sobriety. Speaking of which, I was told there’s going to be an open bar for the first two hours, but (no joke) I bought a cheap flask that I plan to fill with vodka and conceal in my purse just in case the person who told me that was mistaken. No matter how the night really goes or what really happens, I plan to have a good time. 😉 (Consider for a sec that I’m usually on the working end of these deals… I don’t know how to act when I’m actually an invited guest! It’s a good thing all the people there specialize in disasters, cause that’s what I’m going to be.)
Also, another thing I’m super-duper anticipating is a fun thing that another volunteer has invited me to. A friend of mine spends a lot of his days at a local fire department, and he arranged for me to go on a ride-along with them on Sunday. Granted, that’s dependent upon me surviving after the ball on Saturday, and also on there being fires to go out to, but HOW FREAKING AWESOME IS THAT GOING TO BE?! I plan on living out every 3-year-old boy’s fantasy (and insert joke here about every 34-year-old girl’s fantasy… tee hee). I hope they have a pole to slide down (again, insert dirty jokes here).
And one last thing I’m anticipating: not having to work at all this weekend. Since I have the ball Saturday, I’m off for a week. Hurrah!
Otherwise, next week appears to be fairly normal and hopefully relatively tame. I’m welcoming some sanity.
That’s it for today; I hope your weekend is as exciting and (fingers crossed) fun as mine is shaping up to be! 🙂