I can’t figure out if I got a late start to the day, or an early start. All I know is that everything is way off, probably because of last night. Or make that this morning. I don’t even know anymore.
I was at the volunteer office until almost midnight last night, and then got stuck in some very random traffic on the parkway before the Squirrel Hill Tunnels. We had a few blissful months of full tunnel usage, and now it seems they’re back to shutting them down intermittently, for no good reason. Thanks, spring. Anyway, I didn’t get home until super-late, and heated up dinner that was waiting for me in the fridge. As I sat down to eat, I happened to check in on some of the disaster sites that I have access to now, and I saw a fire that was happening. You watch these things long enough and you can start to tell when we’re going to get a call. So I was watching the progress, and I just had a feeling we’d get a call. Wouldn’t you know, I watched as it came in. Since I was still awake and the scene was somewhat-near my house, I figured I’d be the one going even though I wasn’t on-call. I was right.
So after 17 hours of work (between real work and volunteer work), I ended up working almost 5 hours more through the night. BUT, it was good because I got to go out with some people I haven’t been out with much before, and I also haven’t been out on a call in what seems like forever. One of the people who was with me is up for a promotion soon, so I told him exactly what he needs to do to move up. As soon as I opened my mouth, I started to question whether or not I was allowed to straight-up tell him he’d be promoted if he does x, y, and z, but then I had this weird realization that I’m now the person who determines who gets promoted and when, so I can say whatever I darn well please. It was such a weird feeling – part of me wanted to run it past someone first, but then I realized I’m the person other people run things past now. So yeah. I can’t really call it a power trip, because I didn’t really do anything (and it certainly didn’t benefit me in the slightest), but I’m still stunned by this being the boss thing.
Anyway, so much for sleep this entire week. For real. I think I’m averaging less than 4 hours a night, through the entire week. Last night/this morning, it was about 3 hours since I was still finishing up work and texting volunteers at 4:45 am. Thank goodness I can work from home when I need to!
- Currently Reading: Emails, emails, emails, documentation, and some magazines. I managed to get through all but one magazine out of the gigantic stack I had last week, so I made good progress. Of course, then the mail came today and brought with it two new ones. So I’m down to 3 total, but that’s better than 5 months’ worth of old magazines to sort through.
And the emails. So many emails. I love them, though. Same with the documentation. I’m a learning fool these days. ❤
- Currently Eating: Meh. I’ve felt kind of weird and bloated for the past week or two, so I’m trying to be more consistent with the no grains thing. I’m not sure what’s going on, but I just feel really “off.” Not sick, though, so who knows. So I’m sticking to salmon and roasted veggies whenever I can. However, my grandmas are coming to town on Sunday to take me out for a belated birthday lunch, so I’m at their mercy that day. And then that night, some friends invited me over to their house for dinner and margaritas, so Sunday is kind of a wash. But the rest of the time, Healthy is the name of the game.
- Currently Watching: I started and finished the very last season of Luther that’s on Netflix (it was super-short), and then I spent an evening trying to figure out what was next. Absolutely Fabulous came up as a 98% match for me, and I kind of grimaced – I remember watching Comedy Central as a teenager and whatever I wanted to watch came on either before or after Ab Fab and I h-a-t-e-d the theme music (with a passion) and I just did.not.understand the show at all. Fast-forward twenty years, and I suddenly LOVE it. It’s funny – the days I work from home, I’m such an Edina. Any other day, I’m a Saffron. The show makes so much more sense to me now that I’m older. ❤
- Currently Loving: I don’t work tonight, and I’m not on-call, so I’m debating on whether to go to the gym or not. Regardless, I’m not working… unless, of course, there’s a fire – no one else is on the schedule, so I have a feeling I’d end up going if there is one.
I also love that I mentioned margaritas to a friend today (happy Cinco de Mayo!), which prompted the dinner and margaritas invitation on Sunday. I’m so happy when people feed and “water” me. 🙂
That’s about it – it’s been a very long, work-heavy week, and I’m just tired. Maybe I’ll love more things next week?
- Currently Anticipating: I have a dentist appointment tomorrow morning, which doesn’t seem like a thing I should be anticipating… but I have a story to tell the doc about a doctor he referred me to, and I need a different referral. So I’m anticipating I might eventually be able to put an end to some dental woes after tomorrow.
We have another large event at work tomorrow, so all three bartenders are scheduled. I don’t love that, because we seem to make less money (no matter how large the event gets), but I do appreciate that none of us can escape it; we’re all in it together.
I’m looking forward to Sunday Funday when my grandmas come to take me for lunch and then my friends have me over for dinner and drinks. Yay!
I have a couple meetings after work next week, but I seem to be making progress with them, so that’s good. As long as I keep seeing progress, I don’t mind killing myself with hours worked.
We also have our team lead meeting that was originally scheduled for yesterday, set for next week. I have a gigantic list of topics I’m considering proposing, but I’m trying to pick and choose. Meeting topic proposals have already started to roll in to me, though, so I’m happy that other people are as excited about it as I am.
That’s about all I have this week. Wish me luck in maybe sleeping through the night tonight – I’m going to need to if I want to have any hope of surviving both the dentist and a huge event at work tomorrow!