Yesterday kicked off a whirlwind couple of weeks filled with a lot of work, a lot of meetings, and a lot of volunteer togetherness. Had I looked ahead, I would’ve taken the night off from the gym and everything else on Wednesday, but I didn’t and I’m pretty sure I’m going to regret that by the end of the weekend. In the meantime, I’m “coping” with the insanity by enhancing my morning coffee. 😉 Today’s promising to be a doozy, so I’m pre-emptively self-medicating with Fireball and fake RumChata. Nothing says Happy Friday like whiskey and rum in your coffee!
- Currently Reading: I managed to finish one more magazine, so I think I have two remaining. In the meantime, I downloaded The Urban Monk on a recommendation from a friend who thinks I need to chill out and calm down a bit (which… yeah, probably), and started reading it, but I just can’t get into it. I hate breathing and meditation exercises, which is ironic because I would probably greatly benefit from them, so I just stopped at the first breathing exercise section of the book and haven’t opened up the Kindle app since. So I guess that book is out…
- Currently Eating: Since I finished off the chocolate pudding cake thing I made for my birthday, I’ve felt a million times better. Coincidence? I think not.
Since then, I’ve been back to killing the less-grains thing. I’m back to most meals without grains, and I’m feeling good. Fun fact: I stepped on the scale at the gym at the peak of feeling like crap and I’d gained almost 10 lbs in a week. A WEEK! That hardly seems normal. But since going back to my regular eating style, I’ve lost 5 of those lbs. I don’t normally care all that much about weight, but I did think it was interesting to see such a drastic and immediate difference. Good to know for future reference.
- Currently Watching: Still making my way through Absolutely Fabulous, and still loving it. There’s a slight possibility that I might finish it up this week, and if so, I have some recommendations from Netflix for my next guilty pleasure.
- Currently Loving: Last night at our team leader meeting, I was sharing my entire desktop on the big screen in our conference room. When I first set it up, as I was flipping through open applications to get to the one I wanted to share, everyone saw my desktop background, which is a picture of the pupperonis in all their muddy glory. I guess I just naturally assume that everyone knows about them, but apparently not – there was a collective “Awwww!” when people saw them and I had to give their life stories. 😉 I usually shy away from talking about myself and my family too much in public, so it was a nice reminder that as much as I love learning more about my fellow volunteers, they might actually want to know and understand me a little more. Whoops.
Also loving (though love-hate might be a more appropriate sentiment) the extra work I’ve taken on. I have concerns about it in the event my real job gets crazier, but for now, it’s okay. The only other concern is that there’s less asking going on, and more telling… I’m generally very happy to do something when asked, but when I’m told, I’m less thrilled. I think it’s all part of the learning curve of figuring out how to work with someone other than who I’m used to, so I’m not too worried about it just yet.
- Currently Anticipating: So many things happening this weekend and next week!
- Bartending tonight, which I’m not really anticipating, but stuck with doing anyway.
- Bartending tomorrow, which… same as above.
- Mother’s Day on Sunday. Last year on Mother’s Day I ran my first multi-family fire disaster scene and then headed up to see my mom. She was not thrilled with me spending the morning and most of the afternoon helping random people on her day, so this year I made sure I was off the schedule and I’m planning to spend the whole day with her. I suppose it’s the least I could do.
- Tuesday I have a new volunteer orientation session to host, and I’m trying out a new process. I’m probably more excited than I should be. #nerd
- Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, I’m on-call.
- Thursday there’s a possibility I’m taking off work and heading to Slippery Rock University to set up for our Disaster Training Institute, but I’m still waiting to hear back to know if I’m going early or not.
- Friday and the entire rest of the weekend, I’m off work and attending the training institute. I managed to avoid being an instructor, so I’m going to enjoy being just a participant as long as I can. I’m already afraid for what next year might bring.
- Sunday, my parents have already told me that they’ll be mad if I spend the weekend at SRU and don’t stop to see them on Sunday evening, so I guess I’m heading there on Sunday night.
It’s turning out to be quite the crazy weekend and week. I might need to take the night off on Monday in order to recuperate and rest up for the training institute. Actually, I toyed with signing up for the institute and not taking any classes and just using the weekend as a break from bartending and other work… but I’m sure that would be frowned upon. 😉
Have a great weekend, everyone; hope you don’t have to work as much as I do!