Hello, friends. It’s been a rough day for transitioning back to work – even though I was working all week, being away felt like a vacation from my other work projects. When I got back today, everyone let me know how much they “missed” me by throwing a whole lot of work on me. Ugh. When do I get to take a real vacation?
- Currently Reading: I didn’t touch any books whatsoever this past week, what with travel research and then travel itself. I did, however, breeze through four magazines on the plane to Dallas, which was good because they’ve started piling up again (how does that happen?!). I’d like to get back into reading mode, but it might take another week or two – I have lots going on in the upcoming weeks and I’m not sure how tired I’ll be.
- Currently Eating: Leftovers from Dallas. As is my new tradition, when I go on business trips, I take along plastic leftover containers. I rarely finish a full meal in one sitting, so why should I waste that food on business trips? Instead, I pack it up, put it in a fridge while I’m at a customer site, and then throw it in my carry-on on the way to the airport. So far, no issues with food poisoning, and it works out great because I’m usually pooped after a trip and unwilling to cook food beyond microwaving it. Also, it extends the “feel” of the trip. Like today, I had a piece of Drunken Nut pie from Emporium Pies while messaging some Dallas friends, and it felt like I was back there making plans with them. Sigh.
- Currently Watching: I didn’t do much Netflixing while I was away, so I’m still on House of Cards. Yay!
- Currently Loving: Dallas memories. Being back at home in my own bed. Being back in my city with my own volunteers (though I truly miss the staff in Dallas). Most definitely loving the fact that I’ll be reimbursed for all of this trip. 🙂
Another thing that I love – I worked on my recruitment skills while I was out of town. Yesterday, while I was eating lunch with my customer team, they asked what my plans were for the afternoon since we were being set free early. I told them I’d made plans to visit the local Red Cross, and then explained that I’m a volunteer in Pittsburgh, etc. I usually hesitate to say things like that in front of work people, for many reasons that I can’t go into, but I did yesterday, and to my surprise, they asked me a bunch of questions. People who looked like they were ready for a nap an hour beforehand were suddenly actively listening; they asked a lot of good questions and seemed to genuinely want to know more. I ended up giving out some information for some of the contacts I’ve made over the past year and a half, and I thought that was the end of it. But then this morning, one of the directors for the customer team sent me a long email thanking me for telling them all about the work my RC team does, and she asked for specific info on how to get involved with her local chapter. So yay, I recruited at least one new person (even if she lives hundreds of miles away)! The trip was already worth going on, but getting someone interested enough to volunteer is the icing on the cake. ❤
- Currently Anticipating: There’s a large box of RC supplies, currently sitting in the FedEx location in Grove City, OH, that’s due to make its way to my doorstep tomorrow. In it is all of the goodies I amassed from the team I met with this week, and I can barely contain myself until it gets here!
Not so much anticipating, but more expecting that I might end up in a doctor’s office at some point soon. I’ve had swollen glands, a sore throat, hoarse voice, trouble breathing, and random uncontrollable coughing spells for over a week now (which was soooo fun while I was presenting this week). I’ve let it go because I didn’t have time to get checked out and I kind of assumed it would go away within a couple days, but we’re going on over a week strong now and I’m not doing any better. I feel mostly fine otherwise, but the coughing doubles me over and the trouble breathing thing isn’t fun. The sore throat, laryngitis, and swollen glands aren’t the greatest conversation starters either. If it continues much longer, I fear I might be headed to a MedExpress. They’ll probably just tell me it’s pinkeye like they always do. On the plus side, someone in Dallas told me this is my “sexy voice” because it’s deeper and breathy. So I’ve got that going for me.
Things this week that I’m excited about: disaster meeting planning session on Monday, our new disaster program specialist starts on Monday, new volunteer orientation on Wednesday, monthly disaster meeting on Thursday, and sand volleyball starts on Thursday (not sure yet which one will win my Thursday evening this week, but if I still can’t talk, I’ll likely opt for the meeting so I can save my energy).
That’s all for tonight, folks. Hope y’all have a fantastic weekend!