Emergency Supervisor Coping Mechanism


Today was r-o-u-g-h and I’m glad this week is almost over. I feel like I’m saying that a lot lately, which is probably not great. Maybe some awesome stuff is in my future as a result? Or maybe I’m just hosed. Either way, I have no choice but to keep on going.

The day started with a 4-hour meeting where a new partner team at work sprung a last-second (literally) demo on me in front of my new customer…  and since it was in front of the customer, I couldn’t really say no, so I had to scramble to find a test site with valid test data, etc. It was not fun, and it caused me to take a shot of whiskey at 10:30 this morning.

From there, I picked at other customer issues for the rest of the day until it was time to go, but even then, the issues weren’t done, so I ended up staying late. That was fine since we had a monsoon going on outside and the sky was pitch black, but I also had a disaster meeting to get to… but first I had to get to my car and drive back to town. So I got to my car and started driving in, only to get stuck in some awful traffic. When I was about 10 minutes away from the volunteer office, I started getting texts asking where I was because our manager was looking for me. Keep in mind, I wasn’t late – we have dinner at 6 and the meeting starts at 6:30; it was 6:07 when I got the first text message. When I finally did arrive, at 6:16, I was in for a treat.

When I walked into the room, everyone was all “There she is!” and I was practically bombarded with questions. All the seats appeared to be taken (a good thing, actually), so I kind of made my way around the room looking for a seat until our manager grabbed me and started asking questions. I didn’t even get a chance to set my bag down or take off my rain jacket before I’d been asked to lead part of the meeting… but not the part we’d previously discussed; I was asked to present a whole bunch of slides. I was a little harried and I just wanted to set my stuff down, so I agreed and then walked over to the food table to grab a plate so I could look at it from the podium in front of the room and not eat it. Before I could do that, though, more people asked me questions, so I never did get a chance to sit down before the meeting started. Once it did start, I got to sit for about 30 seconds before I had to present. And then I was standing for another 10 minutes or so before I got to try to enjoy dinner…

But of course I didn’t get a chance to eat my dinner. As our manager started to take back the podium, her phone rang. She got a little flustered, looked at me, and then walked over and gave me her phone to answer (which has never ever happened before and I’m not sure how to take it). It was our dispatch center, and they had two cases for us. So even though I wasn’t on-call tonight, I ended up working as a supervisor during the meeting and I ended up missing our guest speaker and a bunch of stuff. Then again, I created the PowerPoint deck for the meeting, so I guess I didn’t miss all that much. I spent nearly an hour and a half in my office monitoring the flooding situation we have happening (flash flooding is our recurring problem of the week), and eventually I made my way downstairs… just in time to catch the last 5 minutes.

After the meeting, I always host a happy hour at a nearby bar, but I got sidetracked by more questions after the meeting. Several people stopped me and asked, “Hey… you’re not even on the schedule tonight, are you?” NEWP. A couple people remarked, “When do you get your paycheck?” Which, har-dee-har. I didn’t get to the happy hour until about 45 minutes after everyone else, and at that point people were starting to finish up their drinks. I got a negroni and I swear it was the best-tasting drink ever, but that might just be because of the insane day I’d just had. Let’s just say I downed it pretty quickly and the only thing that saved me from getting another was the fact that everyone else was ready to leave. I felt much better about life after I’d finished it, though… it was like medicine for the awful day week year I’ve been having.

So yeah. I’m glad tomorrow is Friday. Even if I do have to be at the chapter on Saturday morning and then I work Saturday afternoon/evening, I at least have one night where I don’t have to go to the volunteer office – tomorrow. I still have work to do for the team, but I can do it from home. Fingers crossed that this awful weather abates and that we don’t need responders tomorrow… I have a feeling I’ll be going if we do!


About Lindsay

I'm a Burgher who loves trying new foods and activities. I also seem to love getting myself into trouble. Basically, I'm a trainwreck waiting to happen. :)
This entry was posted in 365 Project 2014. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s