Allegheny County is pretty much entirely under water, if we’re judging by all the disaster calls we’ve gotten over the past three days. Last night I was hopeful that the rain was over because I didn’t want to go back to the volunteer office today, so guess what happened. Yep, I ended up spending my evening there with the staff folks. I think this was my 8th day straight where I’ve been in the office, so I’m ready for a break. There are things going on tomorrow, but I think I’ve gotten out of my primary responsibility so I might just take the day off from the volunteer stuff. We’re supposed to get more storms on Sunday, so I may as well seize the day while I can.
- Currently Reading: I’ve started back in on Naked At Lunch, and I’m just about 50% through it. I have a feeling it’s going to be due back soon, so I might need to work on renewing it.
- Currently Eating: When I finally left the volunteer office tonight, I headed straight for Sheetz and got a tots platter (pictured above). I put nearly every condiment available on it, just because I was hungry, tired, hot, and a wreck. I ate about a third of it when I got home, so I have lots of tot mess left for the rest of the weekend. It may look absolutely disgusting, but it actually tasted pretty good. That might be the stress talking, though.
Otherwise, it’s been a pretty standard week. Nothing all that exciting food-wise, but I’m okay with that.
- Currently Watching: I finished the latest season of House of Cards and immediately moved on to the latest season of Orange is the New Black. Netflix is killing the entertainment game these days!
- Currently Loving: Despite a little bit of whining about it, I’m kind of loving how people are becoming needy with me at the volunteer office. Some people text me a lot, some call, and others email. I like that I’m being trusted to stand in for our manager, but it’s also becoming a little… exhausting. Like today, I arrived and got straight to work. I was giving updates to the manager and my brain turned to mush mid-sentence. Like, I suddenly couldn’t form words. I kind of thought I was having a stroke, but she said it’s probably just from being so tired. Earlier in the day, I was typing the word “field” and it just looked wrong – so so wrong. So yeah, my brain is kind of fried.
On the plus side, our new Specialist person is very nice and she told me yesterday she’s looking to me as her mentor. Which makes sense since I was told to train her. I’ve literally spent time with her for every day of her employment thus far, so I guess we’re on the right track.
And though it really (REALLY) sucked earlier this week, I got a TON of work done. Real work. I worked really hard through the week and managed to get caught up on nearly everything from the week before since I was in Dallas. It was rough, and there’s still one fairly significant thing outstanding, but that’s nothing compared to what I was met with last Friday when I turned on my computer. So while I hated the process, I love the fact that the week is ending on a much calmer note (work-wise, not really volunteer-wise).
- Currently Anticipating: Maybe having the entire morning and early afternoon off from responsibilities tomorrow… but then I have to go to work, so I’ll be back at it by around 2.
Father’s Day is this Sunday, which means I’ll likely head to my parents’ house. I don’t really have a gift at all, but my dad doesn’t really care about that stuff. We’re all trying to minimal-ize a little bit, so we did a minimal Mother’s Day and I’m planning to do a minimal Father’s Day as well. Like, I plan to buy some pastries from Moio’s to take home and then take them both out for dinner. Family time + food = a nice time, in my opinion. Plus, puppies. Always with the puppies. ❤
So far, I only have two things planned after work next week, so I’m cautiously optimistic that next week might be easier than this one. Then again, the thing that I was supposed to do tomorrow morning is likely going to be rescheduled for one of the evenings next week, so I’m now up to three nights tentatively planned out. On the plus side, it can’t possibly rain every day for the rest of the month of June (can it?), so maybe some of the volunteer stuff will lighten up.
I keep fantasizing about taking a big chunk of time off from work and not doing anything at all, but I just don’t know how I can swing that these days. I have the money to travel; it’s the time that’s the problem. Specifically time at work – I have a million vacation days to use, but things are way too crazy right now to use them. And besides that, apparently I’ve become fairly integral to the success of our volunteer team, and I need to schedule things around our meetings. If I don’t, I’m met with the following message: “Ugh.” I don’t like the “Ugh” texts, and I try to avoid them. They make me feel guilty (you’d think I was Catholic or something), and I hate feeling guilty on vacation. On the other hand… if I keep up this 8 days a week pace and I’m already having trouble forming words between my brain and my mouth because I’m so exhausted, I can’t think it’ll be too much longer before I fizzle out. So yeah. Need to find some time I can take off, definitely.
That’s it for this week. Happy weekend, friends, and stay dry!