I’ve been spending a fair chunk of my evenings over the past few days getting up-to-speed on several volunteer training initiatives. The way I look at it, if I’m going to take over the world, I at least want to be well-informed and have as much access as possible. So I got access to a few additional things today and I’m officially trained as a manager in some new areas. Plus, I’m trying to branch out to other areas (outside of Disasters) to see how I fare outside of my current comfort zone. Watch out, Gail McGovern, I’m coming for your job!
In the meantime, before I head over to DC to take over a huge non-profit organization, I’m working my way through just about all the training that’s available on our online training platform. I started one training today and had to laugh – the scenario was that you’re opening up a shelter and when you arrive, the janitor lets you in. I don’t know about you guys, but janitors never looked like this dude at my school. I mean, he’s not really who I’d go for in real life, but a uniform is a uniform, and he looks way better than my high school janitors did. So I sent the text above to one of my friends who’s already taken the class and she immediately called me and couldn’t speak because she was laughing so hard. We do what we have to in order to have fun. 😉
- Currently Reading: I’m nearly halfway through Theft By Finding, which is quite a feat considering how much time I’ve spent doing online trainings this week. As expected, I love it. Shocker.
- Currently Eating: It’s partially been a rough week, food-wise. There was so much going on and I ate so few meals at home that I’m all over the place this week. However, I’ve been rocking smoothies all week, so at least I’m getting plenty of vegetables. I already know that tomorrow is going to be a crap-shoot when it comes to meals, so I guess I’ll continue this weird spiral for a few more days…
- Currently Watching: I just finished season 1 of The Great British Baking Show last night. It still calms me, for whatever reason, so I think I’ll stick with it for a while.
- Currently Loving: The “I-know-something-you-don’t-know” situation from last week escalated a little bit this week and I found out even more information. I still have to be vague, but it’s refreshing when you know what you’re getting into. Like, part of this situation is working with someone whose job I desperately want (and she knows it, because I was very open and told her). So even though she needs to be nice to me (because of the nature of said job), I can tell I’m driving her insane. So I get these emails filled with thinly-veiled contempt and annoyance, and instead of letting them bother me (like they did until recently), now I find the humor in them. It’s pretty bad when every response is so predictable that I’ve started making a game out of it. Plus, on Monday I got to discuss the situation with someone who has historically been all-too-close to the fire, and much of what I’m experiencing has been experienced before. Granted, the situation ended differently before, but I’m hopeful for a better outcome this time. Put differently, I’m younger, much more energetic, I’m fairly well-liked, and incredibly persistent. My plan is to wear this person down until they quit and then I’ll take over their job. 😉 (Fun fact: I’m deceptively vindictive.)
Also loving the text messages I have going on with my friends from Dallas. They’re good eggs, those guys.
- Currently Anticipating: I’m branching out a little this weekend and participating in a Home Fire Campaign for the first time. It’s located practically in my back yard, and since I want to try new things, this seems like the perfect time to give it a whirl. Basically, we’ll be going around to houses installing smoke alarms for free. I’m a little terrified because 1) The general public scares me, despite both of my jobs and my volunteer position, and 2) I know nothing (zero!) about installing smoke alarms and educating people on fire safety. But I’m also excited because I’ve formed a little clique and I’m already slated to be on my buddy Dude’s team tomorrow, so we’ll have some fun. Plus, he’ll save me from the general public, in the event the general public gets weird… well, he’ll save me until I get on his nerves, at least. I give it about 20 minutes. I’ll be safe for 20 minutes and then he’ll try to replace me. 😉 But that’s okay, because I know a bunch of other people going as well, and I’d be happy to alternate teams all day long.
It was suggested to me that I should maybe head to DC for a vacation, and while I’m there I might be put in touch with some volunteer organization folks who work out of our National Headquarters. I’m in the very elementary stages of the planning (I tried booking an AirBnB, but the host canceled the reservation), but my boss at my full-time job is on-board with me taking some time off soon (my vacation time just keeps accruing like crazy – a most excellent problem to have). Plus, I have some people who are willing to put me in touch with their contacts, so I won’t be going in blind if I do go. Now the issue is going to be logistics – when can I go, how will I get there, and where will I stay. Lots of things to start thinking about. I’ve been to DC several times before, so I normally don’t think of it as a vacation destination, but with the added layer of making new contacts, it seems like a good plan. Plus, it’s close enough that I can either drive, take a Megabus, take an Amtrak, or fly.
And finally, I work tomorrow after the smoke alarm installations, but I have a different co-bartender than usual. We’re giving my usual cohort a break this Saturday and next, so I’m going to be with our backup dude. He’s cool, and I think we’ll have a fun time. It might even be refreshing to change things up a bit.
That’s it for this week, folks. Have a great weekend!