Happy Friday, y’all, and Bonne Fête for all of you gallophiles out there (what, just me?).
If you’ve ever wanted to see a fairly accurate depiction of a normal day in Pittsburgh, look no further than the picture above – I took it from the 4th floor of our volunteer office in the Strip the other day. Overcast, gray, and ready for the skies to open up… that’s how the past week has looked around these parts. There have been patches of sunlight, but it’s been overwhelmingly hot, humid, and rainy. Blergh. At least we’re expected to get some nicer weather this weekend. Unfortunately for me, I’ll be working through all of it, but at least the rest of you can enjoy it.
- Currently Reading: It was with great sadness that I had to return Theft By Finding to the library before I was finished with it. I made it to the year 1994 the last day I had it, but I still had quite a ways to go. I returned it to avoid a fine, but I took note of which page I was on. I can’t wait to get it back.
Since Theft By Finding wasn’t available for a renewal, I had to choose something else the day I returned it. After much deliberation, I chose The Impossible Fortress, just because it sounded like an easy read that would make me nostalgic. Right on both accounts so far – it starts off with a 14-year-old boy’s perspective of 1987. Granted, I was 5 in 1987, but the author has the feel of the late 80s down pat. I like it so far, even though I’m only a couple chapters in. Looking forward to finishing it and then checking back to see if Theft By Finding is available again.
- Currently Eating: Ugh. I don’t know for sure what happened, but something just destroyed me this week. I think it was a bag of Fritos, to be honest. All I know is that Friday evening I felt great, then I had some Fritos while taking online training courses, and within an hour or two, my stomach had drastically expanded. Like, no joke, I went up 2 pants sizes in an hour. Something was clearly wrong. Along with the “baby belly,” I started having these really intense pains in my side and my back. Thinking things would be better in the morning, I went to bed. Things were not better on Saturday morning; in fact, I felt terrible as I canvassed the streets of Turtle Creek trying to install smoke alarms. Same with the disaster assessment exercises in Butler the next day – I felt awful.
Then yesterday, I stopped into a public restroom to change into my volleyball gear after work and noticed that my pee looked a little pink. (TMI, sorry!) I have chronic kidney issues, so I started to panic. I went to my game and then noticed the same thing when I got home later that night – pink pee. I kinda sorta freaked out and considered heading to the ER, but luckily I had enough sense stay home. I Googled, and while that’s normally a terrible thing to do in such situations, it saved me this time – I’d forgotten about the beet juice earlier in the day. Given the weird stomach issues I’ve been having lately, the beet juice wasn’t properly digested, and turned my pee pink. I drank a ton of water last night and I’m happy to report that as of this morning, my pee is normal again. Sorry for the intensely personal post, but I had all visions of kidney transplants last night; I feel much better about life today. That doesn’t mean I don’t have to worry about the weird stomach thing going on, or that I can stop worrying about my kidneys (it’s only a matter of time before I really need to worry), but I don’t foresee a hospital visit in my future this weekend.
Anyway, this is all to say that I’ve sworn off Fritos (I can’t say for sure they’re the culprit, but the timing is suspicious and I’m just now starting to get back to a normal size since I haven’t eaten them since last Friday and the pain is finally diminishing as of this morning) and I’m trying to hydrate as much as possible. Whatever works, right?
- Currently Watching: I’m halfway through season 2 of The Great British Baking Show. I seem to be moving at a glacial pace, but that’s because each episode is an hour long and I’ve been rather busy. I did notice that Netflix added new seasons of a bunch of old favorites recently, so when I finally get done with TGBBS (which will likely be in a few more weeks), I’ll have plenty to watch.
- Currently Loving: Honestly, a lot of stuff I can’t blog about. Let’s just say that while I don’t love drama, it’s great to be on the sidelines watching it all unfold, especially when it can potentially benefit me in the long run. I’m like a lion crouching in the tall grass – quiet and relatively unseen, but waiting for the right opportunity to pounce. It’s possible there won’t be a chance to pounce, but if there is, I’m so ready. Bring it on.
Totally separate, I saw this news story this morning and it legitimately blew my mind. Scientists are able to store data (movies!) in DNA now. Refer back to your Biology notes from high school, and then read that again. Holy crap, WTFBBQ, I can’t even. That’s astounding. Like, truly. It’s both terrifying and amazing at the same time.
- Currently Anticipating: Some of the exciting stuff is happening tonight, actually.
I have a meeting with my regional volunteer manager at his house tonight to discuss my new regional role. Within that meeting, we’re also going to discuss the DC trip that may or may not be happening (details are expected next week). I got some insight into how he really feels about some things this past Sunday, and I think we’re on the same page. With any luck, I’ll get more insight tonight. I’m actually really excited about this meeting, because #nerd.
Also tonight, I have plans to meet up with my friend Tony for a drink. It’s been far too long, and hanging out with him is always a good time.
I have to work both Saturday and Sunday this week, and while I’m not thrilled about it, I can appreciate that I might get some extra money. Also, it’s payday today for both jobs, so I’m feeling very Scrooge McDuck about life right now. 😉
Monday I have a 1-on-1 volunteer meeting with my direct manager, but it’s turning into a 2-on-1 meeting these days. Anyway, it’s my opportunity to say how I really feel about some things that have been happening lately, even though I can almost guarantee I’ll keep my mouth shut. We’re probably all better off in the long run if I keep quiet.
Tuesday is a new volunteer orientation, Wednesday is a mandatory after-work work meeting, and Thursday is our monthly volunteer meeting (and volleyball, if I can swing both).
It’s shaping up to be a busy weekend and week! Have a great Friday, everyone! 🙂